BONUS CHAPTER

_____________________

It was a bright, sunny day in Gravity Falls. I was walking into town with a bright mood, expecting to meet Wendy, Robbie, and Tambry at the diner for a quick lunch.

I was passing the billboard when something caught my eye. A flyer, pastel pink, with flowers illustrated down it.

"Annual spring flower dance," it said, in bright, cursive letters. "By the forest lake. Come with a partner for a spectacular display."

I was stumped. No one in town had ever mentioned an annual flower dance. I was confused, but decided to ask Wendy once I met her and the others in the diner.

I entered the grease-scented diner and immediately picked out Wendy's bright red hair in the far-end booth.

"Hi!" I waved to her as I made my way to the back.

"Hey, dude!" She grinned, patting the seat next to her. Robbie waved sluggishly and whispered something to Tambry. I ignored it.

"I am soooooo hungry." Wendy groaned, clutching her stomach. "I've been chopping wood all morning."

"Yeah, I could definitely eat something." As I flipped through the menu, I decided to bring up the dance.

"Hey, Wendy, do you know anything about the Flower Dance?"

"Oh, that?" She scoffed. "Oh, yeah. Every year. Gets so old. I never go anymore." She looked at me out of the corner of her eye. "Hmmmm...but it is your first spring here. Maybe you should think about asking—"

"Oh, that's great to know, Wendy!" I said, a little too loudly. "Thanks for telling me."

"No problem," she said coolly, though my cheeks warmed up at the knowing amusement in her voice.

——————

Later that day, as the sun sank below the mountains, me and Mabel lay sprawled out on the roof of the Mystery Shack.

"Mabel," I asked lightly, "what would you think about me asking Pacifica out somewhere?"

For a second, my sister looked confused. Then, she took a deep breath, and replied, "Of course I wouldn't mind. But first of all, where?"

"This thing called the flower dance."

"Sounds good for a first date."

We sat in silence again, watching the last rays of sunlight brush the clouds.

"I'm going to ask her tomorrow...I think. Can you give me some tips?"

Mabel's face lit up immediately. "Of course! I would love to!"

I spent the remaining hours before bed to learn some essentials. I then scrounged up a somewhat-handsome outfit from my sparse wardrobe, combed my hair, and closed my eyes as I flipped onto my pillows, letting out a single sigh before I began to drift away.

——————

The next morning, I woke up feeling energized. I admired my outfit, and my readily combed hair. Dashing downstairs, I shoveled some oatmeal down my throat and bolted for the door. But just as my fingers began to turn the oak knob, I heard a grunt from behind me.

"Where do you think you're going, kid?"

I shut my eyes and cursed silently. Shoot! I forgot that grunkle Stan had arrived late last night for the spring break...my dread rose as he investigated my outfit.

"Who ya trying to impress, squirt?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "You aren't going anywhere until you tell me."

"Uh...I-I was going to ask Pacifica to come to the flower dance with me."