Chapter 8: leaving

Dipper's POV: 1:30 am

"Canteen? Check. Flashlight? Check. Food? Check." Dipper crossed out three items on his list. He whispered quietly, doing his best not to wake Mabel. Pacifica had told him not to mention the trip to Mabel, so she wouldn't do something stupid and selfless to get her back. But instead, It was Dipper who decided to follow her. He had assumed she wouldn't have gotten far. After all, even if she had changed, she still wasn't used to this kind of trek. He glanced once more at Mabel before tiptoeing out of the bedroom.

            It was eerily quiet downstairs, except the sound of Soos's snoring from the couch. Dipper saw wendy's buckskin cap lying on the counter, more specifically his, right next to his old blue-and-white pine tree hat. He felt a bit of indecision. Dipper hesitantly took his blue and white cap, throwing a look of regret at the buckskin hat. Every time he was with Pacifica, he felt a feeling very similar to when he was spending time with Wendy. He had been trying to figure it out, and the explanation he had gotten had been...interesting. Did he really have feelings for Pacifica? Shaking his head, he opened the door and walked out into the warm night air.

  Pacifica's POV, same time.

Pacifca knelt next to a berry bush. On the vine there hung hundreds of small purple berries that reminded her of blackberries. She hesitantly plucked one off the branch. Dipper would know if these were safe or not, she thought ruefully. She threw one into her mouth. The bitter taste made her scrunch her nose up. The berry left her mouth feeling numb. She spit the rest of it out and stomped away. It was dark. She couldn't see much further into the dreary forest, so she laid down on the dirt with disgust. Stones poked her back and head, and she couldn't seem to fall asleep. Suddenly, she heard a noise. A twig cracked to her right. If she squinted, she could see a faint yellow glow coming from the bushes. Pacifica scrambled for a large branch which she brandished threateningly, though she was very afraid. A figure came out of the bushes carrying a lamp, and before he could speak, Pacifica thwacked the boy on the head, jumping back when she recognized the familiar blue and white pine hat and the floppy brown hair. The lamp he had been holding clattered to the ground, thankfully not going out.

       After the shock subsided, Pacifica rushed toward him and hugged him tightly. "Dipper!" She had never been more happy to see him.

He blinked awake. "Hi," he said, sleepily.

          Dipper's POV. an hour later.

"You can hit hard, for someone who's been pampered her whole life," Dipper grumbled, rubbing the bruise on his head.

Pacifica shrugged, and then smiled. "You obviously underestimated me." She reached for a cheese stick from Dipper's backpack, but he shooed her hand away. He didn't want Pacifica to finish all the rations.

        "Hey, what gives?" Pacifica asked, looking annoyed.

"You're not allowed to eat more than you need," he answered, and He saw Pacifica scrunch her nose up.

"Why?"

   "Because we're going to need the rest for the trip,"

Pacifica's POV

"Wait, what?" She asked, shock hitting her like an icy wave. "You're not coming with me!"

"Who said I wasn't?"