Chapter 24

———

Pacifica's POV

The Bus ride was fairly uneventful, minus the fact that one of the passenger's suitcases slipped off the rack. I cried for a few minutes before regaining my cool again, and then I just sat and stared out the window while Dipper fumbled around with his backpack.

As I watched the waves roll in and out along the rocky shore, a piece of paper was slipped up next to me. I glared at it.

"I don't need your apology," I spat. "You already told your parents I was a pain."

Dipper peeked out at me. "I promise that's not all I told them," he replied sadly. "Look, it really hurts me to see you this way. Just read the note. Then you can rip it up to shreds."

I made a sound of annoyance and unfolded the paper. It said:

Pacifica, I'm really sorry about getting you upset. Listen, after the ghost incident, I had gotten the notion you had changed for the better. So I told my parents about it all...well, not the ghost, but how you stood up to your parents. And...you're probably going to kill me, but I told them about the hug. I hope you forgive me.

-Dipper.

I didn't rip it up. I very slowly folded the note back up and tucked it into my pocket.

"Thanks for the apology," I grumbled.

"You're welcome. You know, my parents do want to meet you,"

"They do? Huh..."

Suddenly, I realized something.

"Um...did you tell them about...about the bell?" I had never brought this up in conversation since the night at the mansion. I was sure he knew; it happened right in front of him.

His eyes widened and he looked away. "Uh...maybe."

I was more sad than angry. If Dipper's parents knew about that, I was both ashamed and worried about how it would turn out.

"It's okay," I found myself saying. It was true. There was no shame in the truth. "I just hope they don't think my parents are abusive. Sure, they're complete jerks and I wish they would just shut up, but..."

Dipper gave a scoff. "Of course they don't think that."

I smiled softly.

When we arrived at the bus stop, Dipper and I climbed off the bus and walked to the taxi terminal.

Our journey was coming to a close, but somehow a feeling of doubt and guilt filled me to the brim.