Chapter 40

Five thousand veiws? Wow! Thank you so much guys, so much. I never would have imagined this could have happened, and today, I found a little bit of free time just to make this chapter and put it out there! Thank you, please enjoy.

———

Dipper's POV

All I felt was pain. Pain everywhere. On my legs, arms, face, stomach. I was snuggled into the couch, the throbs running along my whole body. Pacifica had fallen asleep, her head resting on my legs.

The last thing she had asked me before she had drifted off was how I was feeling. I had forced a smile.

"Great," I replied, gritting my teeth. I couldn't let them know. Not yet.

Pacifica's head shifted, rubbing against an open wound on my lower leg. I gave a soft moan and stiffened. The blanket on top of me was suddenly sticky with blood near my leg. I didn't want to bother her, so I screwed my eyes shut and tried to sleep.

My dreams were terrible, filled with Bill and his horrible henchmaniacs, taunting me. They would hunt us down, I was sure of it.

I wasn't aware of my own selflessness, the fact that I was putting my life on the edge not to slow my friends down. If they stopped and let me heal, there would be a greater chance of us getting caught. So I let my own health become worse and worse just for them.

I glanced at Pacifica. She looked so peaceful, even with her normally silky blond hair spilling over the edge of the couch like a rushing golden waterfall. Her makeup was smudged, scars and bruises covered her face, but yet through my eyes, her sleeping there on the couch right in front of me was enough to reassure me that we would make it.

The morning came quickly, and we awoke to the sound of the roof caving in on the second floor of Zack's house. Pacifica jolted awake, causing me to almost scream, for her sudden motion tore the wound even deeper.

Her eyes were wide. "We need to get out of here!" She leapt off the couch and shrieked. "Dipper, why is there blood all over the place?"

"Not the time!" I coughed, struggling to lift myself from the bed. "We have to get Zack and Stacey!"

Pacifica rushed to the kitchen, and I staggered after her, finding Zack trying to shake Stacey awake.

"She won't wake up!" He yelled, over the sound of cracking plaster, as a explosion of dust and debris showered the living room where I had been sleeping minutes before.

Pacifica screamed over the cracking of the roof. "Zack, carry her to the van!"

"What, m-me?" Even in this situation, I caught sight of the slight blush on Zack's dust-coated cheeks.

"Yes, you!" Pacifica shrieked. "Now get your butt off the floor and hurry up!"

With Pacifica as my support, we ran out of the breaking house, collapsing into the van in relief. I laid down, and with a jerk, the van sped off down the road, hitting the curb multiple times as we drove.

There was only one thing that crossed my mind now.

All four of us would not make us to Gravity Falls.

The weakest are picked off first.

And this made me realize,

The weakest was me.