Chapter 23

Pacifica's POV

The warm breeze blasted me with full force as the airport doors slid open. It was humid today. Me and Dipper walked alone the sidelines looking for the bus that had been rented, and we finally found it at the edge of the walkway. The bus was a bit-worn down looking, but after spending that much time in the wild it was like a heaven.

"Ah, air conditioning," I sighed as we sank into the plush seats. A man with the name 'Joey' pinned on his shirt came over to us and used tongs to hand us warm wet towels.

"Thank you, sir," I replied, rubbing the soft linen on my cheeks.

The man looked surprised for some reason.

"What, has no one ever said thank you? What horrible manners." I placed my towel back on the tray and turned to Dipper, who was staring at me.

"What did I do wrong?" I asked.

"It's just...it's like you're still in the mansion. Most people don't say thank you."

"Well then that's just rude," I concluded, because it was. Instead, I asked, "how long does it take to get to Piedmont from here?" I asked, suspecting another hour-long drive.

"18 minutes."

"What?" Did I hear that right? "18 minutes?" 

"Yeah," Dipper looked out the window. "To get to the nearest bus stop. Then we're going to take a cab."

I was overjoyed. Finally, I was going to step inside a normal home. 

"So happy!" I was practically bouncing.

"Heh. But, of course, we still need to face my parents. They probably aren't going to be very happy to see us."

"I know," I answered. The fact that we had traveled from Gravity Falls, Oregon, to Piedmont, California all on our own was astounding. "Wait. Speaking of which, what did you tell your parents about me?"

Dipper looked uncomfortable. "Well...I..."

"Tell the truth," I glared.

"Well, I told them you used to be a rich spoiled brat, you bullied me and my sister Mabel, were a complete jerk..."

This really hurt me. Seriously. It is true that I was pretty jerky before, but if that's all he told them..."

I turned my back on him. I didn't know what to think anymore.

"Wait, Pacifica, it's not like that! That's not all-"

"I don't want to hear it!" I hissed, "I don't want more lies. Fine. I'm a spoiled brat, I'm completely a jerk. Fine."

Dipper pleaded with me but I didn't care. I didn't want to admit it but it broke my heart. His words were like a knife cutting through my feeling with merciless power. Who knows what else he said about me. That my family was a fraud. About the-the bell. Before I knew it salty tears were sliding across my cheeks. I'm a horrible person. Maybe Dipper was right all along.

Maybe I was just another Link in the world's worst chain.