Chapter 14

——————

Dipper's POV

The thing in front of me was huge; it looked half-dead. A humanoid figure with torn-up clothes, and old rusty goggles that fit around it's head, enlarging glowing blue eyes.

I screamed. Loud.

Thirty second after that, I heard rapid steps running up the stairs. The creature started to advance on me, it's eyes glowing brighter as it came closer.

Then,  the person I least expected to help appeared franticly at the top of the stairway.

"Pacifica!" I called. "Don't come any closer!"

"What is that thing?" She screamed.

"I don't know!" I yelled back. "But it looks hungry..."

Pacifica's eye twitched. That happens when she's annoyed or angry, if I've learned anything about her. She stomped forward until she was right behind the creature.

"Hey, you!" She declared, dominantly stamping her foot. "Look at me!"

The monster took a break from harassing me to turn to the young Northwest, who's lip was scrunched up. I could feel my own heartbeat in my ears as the thing walked a bit closer to Pacifica.

And then she slapped him.

Straight on the cheek, with all strength she must have had in those dainty hands.

It was loud.

"That's what you get when you mess with my friend," she hissed, holding her palm up as if to threaten the creature.

The monster stood gawking, his jaw dropped. He rubbed his cheek, where Pacifica's slap mark could still be seen. Without more than a whimper he ran down the stairway, on all fours, and the last we heard of him was the door slamming shut.

"I have to admit, that was impressive," I said, awkwardly. "Oh, it was nothing," she dismissed me but I could see her soft smile. "I did it to the butlers at home every day,"

She must've noticed me looking at her in a horrified way, because she blushed and shook her hands. "Oh, well, that is, before you made me realize it was wrong."

Pacifica held out her hand and helped me up. "Whaddaya say, should we get going?"

I hesitated for a bit, but in a little, I said, "I'd be happy to."

We didn't leave empty handed though. I was able to salvage some stale bread we found in the cupboards, which Pacifica wouldn't touch, claiming it was 'poison.' Even if she had changed, she still had those Northwest instincts.