Chapter 9: the campsite

Hello, i'm Back again! Just wanted to announce the wonderful income of views, and even though I know this isn't a high number, to those of you who have contributed, THANK YOU. When I got back from vacation and found this, I was SO HAPPY. Your positive input is super appreciated! You put up with my long periods without update, and support my new chapters. It makes me even happier to see a vote or a comment. So don't be shy! We're a community here!

lol thanks for reading this horrible book guys (: -Zee <3

———

Pacifica's POV, first person

"B-but, how?" I sputtered, a mixture of emotions running through me at once. Dipper couldn't stay!

      "You are going back home, right?" I asked hesitantly.

"Nope."

       I sighed. This was going to be impossible.

"Look," I said, turning him around to face me. "I know you want to help. That's...the kind of person you are."

       The lamp between us cast a warm yellow glow as the flames flicked a little higher.

"But you can't stay. I'm going alone."

       Dipper's brown eyes glistened in the light. He sat silently. I wondered what was going on inside that brain of his.

After about two minutes of this uncomfortable silence, Dipper broke the ice.

"Pacifica," he replied, making me jump. "I know you want to go alone. But I also know..." he looked at the burns on my arms and legs and I cringed. "That you're afraid."

My world shattered. Am I really this shallow? So shallow that Dipper can see right into my feelings? I hung my head as the sudden sadness punched me in the gut.

"But you don't have to be alone anymore."

I looked up. Dipper was smiling genuinely, not in the overwhelming way Mabel did all the time. He had his hand on my shoulder, and I felt okay.

Dipper's POV, same time.

Pacifica had looked heartbroken. I felt good about myself, knowing I made her feel a bit better. Taking my hand off her shoulder, I looked up at the sky. "It's probably time for us to get some sleep, even if it is just a few hours." "Okay," Pacifica said.

After hesitating for a second she pecked me on the cheek and got up, speed-walking away. I rubbed my face in shock. Did Pacifica Northwest...have a crush on me?

Pacifica's POV

Dipper was still staring at me in an awestruck way as I shuffled to the other side of the camp.

What did I just do? I thought to myself. I'm such a fool. I just kissed Dipper Pines.

And now, we were alone in the woods, and he was planning to come with me.

-le time skip-

I looked back at Dipper. He looked cold, shivering while he slept on the dirt. I walked to to the other side of the clearing and kneeled by the sleeping boy, and carefully removed my tattered purple jacket, laying it softly on top of his back. Of course it wouldn't offer much protection, but just knowing it was there felt good.

       As I felt sleep wash over me, a cold breeze whooshed through the trees and rattled the branches. Though outside I was freezing and shivering, inside, I felt warm.

——