Chapter 4

Bella's POV

"Alright, let's make a deal." I told him and he raised an eyebrow.

"I tell you all about me and you tell me what the hell happened to those wolves and to the man that assaulted me." I said.

"Fine."

"Alright then. I'm from New York, and I live in the not so good side of the city. We lived near the woods."

"And your parents?" He asked.

"My uhm... my adoptive father had beaten my adoptive mother to death."

"Where is he?"

"Probably looking for me." I said.

"You told my parents that both your parents had died in a... car accident?. Why did you lie?" I totally forgot about that.

"Because I needed the job. I didn't want to risk losing this job ove---"

"Over some psychopath that would probably kill anyone getting in his way to get to you?" He shouted at me, angrily and I stayed silent. He was right. Blake, my so called father, would do anything for me to be back there in that house.

"You do realize that by doing this, you might have endangered my parent's lives, right?"

"I know. I'm sorry." I said looking down in shame. I never meant to put their lives in danger. I just badly needed a job to sustain myself.

"Bella." He said in a soft voice calling my attention. "Do you believe in werewolves?" He asked me and I almost laughed.

"Werewolves? You mean the wolves that turn into humans?" He nodded.

"Did you hit your head or something?" I laughed. "Look, I believe in many things but werewolves are not on the list. This isn't a fairytale, you know." I said, calming down my laughter. I saw him roll his eyes at me.

"Then, you better believe now because they are after you." What the hell is he talking about?

"Are you on drugs?" I asked him plainly and he furrowed his brows but then sighed.

"Look, you want to know what happened to you tonight and to your 'attacker'?" I nodded.

"Fine. Adam killed your attacker. Why? Because he is a rogue. The wolves that were after you tonight? Rogues. The wolves that saved you? Not rogues." He simply explained as he shrugged, like it was real. Like it was no big deal.

I've heard about rogues. Hell, I know a lot about werewolves. I had a phase when I was a child that made me want to be one. I've read every single book I could find about them. But one thing I know for sure? They are most certainly not real.

"Seriously. What drugs are you on?" I said and he just looked at me like I was crazy. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

"You wanted to know what happened, and now I told you. It's really up to you if you want to believe them. Now my question is this: how did you recover so fast?" he asked me but I didn't answer. Honestly, I don't know as well. How did I heal so fast?

Then, my mother's words came to my mind. You are not who you think you are. What does that mean?

"Woah! Are you alright?" Ethan asked, holding my arms on both sides.

"Huh?"

"Your eyes. They turned... purple." He said, fear and concern all over his face but he shook it off. "Pack your things." He said. I knew it! Because of my selfishness, he decided to kick me out!

"Please... have nowhere else to go." I started crying. I can't lose this place, hell, I can't lose this job. He probably would tell his parents to fire me.