3| The Runaway Blonde

Dedicated to:instant__noodles

Thanks a tonne for being my wattpad bestie and supporting me all throughout my wattpad journey! And also, for kindly pointing out my punctuations mistakes and being an extremely good-hearted person XD

Please check out his books if you wanna be amazed! One of the best writers out there :)

"Your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me."

~ picturequotes.com

Carlton's POV

I stared, horrified, at the numerous pieces of broken glass strewn all around the hallway, glistening brightly under the dim light.

"Who's there?!" The man's raspy voice echoed throughout the vacancy. It was so loud and gut-wrenching that I feared that Alexandra, a few rooms away, would hear it and come out of her suite and everything would go down to shit.

I made a run for it, stepping on the glass shards which made shrill cracking noises, making the situation worse.

"Get him!" I heard the man scream again. A knot formed in my stomach when the scream was followed by the creaky thud of the camouflaged door opening.

"Hey!" There was a loud, cracking scream of another man and it was soon followed by the pounding of footsteps on the concrete.

The only thing I kept on chanting in my mind was - I'm so fucked, I'm so fucked, I'm so fucked...

If I got caught, who knows what these hooligans would do to me? Heck, they could blackmail my family to give up a shit tonne of fortune. Or better yet, they would kill me to wipe off the only evidence of this encounter ever happening.

Gritting my teeth, I forced myself to run faster. All the hallways looked the same. I had lost insight into where I was going. At this point, I was probably running in circles but I had no time to confirm that. The man chasing me was inching closer every second.

I began to huff, inhaling the thick air-conditioned air and it suddenly felt too cold, freezing and numbing my dry lips.

My two thousand dollar heavy brogue shoes had probably attained some scratches on the soles at this point.

"Stop right there, bastard!"

The vehemence in that voice sent a sharp pain down my back. The soles of my feet were starting to hurt. I wasn't supposed to be running in these heavy shoes; they weighed me down as if my feet were clad in hefty iron.

All of a sudden, a bullet zipped right past my head right after a familiar bang was heard. It was a pistol. I could recognize that sound anywhere. I began to think this was the last of me. If I didn't push my legs to run a little faster, my whole body would have to suffer the consequences.

And just then, I passed by the same chandelier I passed by a few seconds ago.

So I was running in circles, after all?!

I had to put this to a stop before both of us exhausted ourselves and he ended up taking my life. I knew bastards like him would kill me the instant he got the chance.

Not the first time I've been in a situation like this but it had been a long time since I found myself under such an immense amount of pressure.

I refused to let the worst-case scenarios take control of me. Sharply turning the corner, I stopped and leaned my back on the wall, patiently waiting for the man to come scurrying around the corner.