48| The Avid Breakout

Dedicated to:OmotayoKofoworola

Thank you for reading my book to the end!

"You attack one of us...you attack all of us."
~ promptuarium.wordpress.com

Carlton's POV

Jovan pointed a gun at Augustus' head, his back to me. Immediately, the men who were holding me, reacted by attempting to attack him.

Something interrupted them.

A sharp shatter of a glass and a zip slicing through the air, made us all turn. Augustus' head of acquisitions, the man who was handling the contract, had his head blown to tatters as he collided with the ground.

He had just been sniped.

Panic arose in the hall, people running everywhere away from him. One by one, we watched them being sniped from somewhere through the windows.

The men around me aimed their guns at Jovan, but he wouldn't move.

Before they could hurt him, someone started shooting from the back. It all happened so quickly. All of them were on the floor, leaving me gaping at them with bewilderment, while Augustus went pale. I looked back to see who the mysterious shooter was and when I did, it felt as if a cool breeze washed over my senses.

Breanna Riley took her coat off, untying her bun to reveal her hair flowing behind her elegantly. Her gaze was focused on Augustus as she stepped right on the platform amongst all the chaos, reloading her gun.

"Breanna," he gulped, "Let's talk-"

She shot him twice, once on the shoulder and once more on his thigh, throwing a smile at him over his screams. "I won't make that mistake again."

Time slowed down when she turned to me, rays of sunshine illuminating her hair strands golden as they swayed with the breeze. Her lips twitched into a beam when she leaned down at me sprawled on the floor, speechless. Reaching for me, she asked, "Need a hand?"

I grabbed her hand and she pulled me up. The knife wound in my thigh stung and I tripped again, but she held me close. "You did amazing." Her face was so close to me, if I leaned in just a little bit-

"Aye, you lovebirds!" Jovan snapped us out of it. "We're in the middle of an ambush!"

Shit. I totally forgot about Jovan and some sniper-guy handling all the remaining men in the room.

"Right!" Breanna voiced, racing off the platform without me. "Carlton, get out! We'll be right with you!"

"But-"

"Just go! You're hurt!"

She was right. In this condition, I was more of a burden than support. My whole body ached as I stumbled down the platform toward the metallic gate, after taking one last look at wincing Augustus. A man in the corner of my eye, raised his gun at me, but Breanna shot him down. "I'm covering you!"

I fell on the handles of the door. Sounds of gunfire pelting on walls, metal, wood,...people, filled my ears as I pushed the door open. Bright sunlight infected my vision, coaxing me to squeeze my eyes shut. My frail knees gave up, and I tripped, but someone wrapped their arms around me.

When my eyes adjusted to the brightness, tears brimmed and threatened to fall. Amidst the smoky gunfire and dust particles flying about, Dylan's blue eyes exchanged a joyful sparkle with me.

"Dylan?" I whimpered.

"Long time no see," he grinned, hooking his arm around my waist to steady me.