43| The Uncertain Decision

Dedicated to:Friendjudy

Thanks for the votes buddy!

"If death strikes before I prove my blood, I swear I'll kill death."
~ scoopwhoop.com

**Minimal sexual content ahead**

Carlton's POV

"Thunderbird Bar and Grill, 11 pm."

That was all that was written on the piece of crumpled paper that Damien had handed to me. I sighed drowsily, shoving the paper back into my pocket.

Of course Augustus asked me to meet him there. His family owned that bar. If he shot me through the head in front of everyone in there, he'd still be able to cover it up.

We were back in Caden's penthouse. My eyes fell on Breanna, sitting cross-legged in the far edge of the bedroom, brooding as she stared out of the window. I approached and sat in front of her.

I could spot tear stains on her cheeks as the rays of the setting sun brightened her face.

"You still don't trust me?" She questioned, but it sounded more like a statement.

I opened my mouth but she cut me off.

"Don't." She finally looked at me. "If I were in your place, I wouldn't trust me either."

I knew why she was feeling so low. And even though my heart ached because of her, it pained me to see her like this. "I'll save Ace. I promise you. And Raymond will walk again in no time."

Her eyes widened slightly. Her auburn hair tumbled over her shoulders as she shifted in her place. Out of the blue, she scooted closer to me. "You think that they're the only ones I care about. And even though it hurts so fucking much to see my comrades in pain because of me, it hurts me more that you're carrying all of that burden. When it should've been me."

My heart thudded a little louder than normal. "When I said I would help you, I really meant it Bree."

Her lips curved into a sad smile and she nodded slowly, an expression of relief on her face. "I was wrong to judge you when I was young. You're a man of your word, Carlton. And if there's any way that I've hurt you knowingly or unknowingly, I'm sorry...from the bottom of my heart."

Oh, there was an entire list of those.

But my heart melted for her. She looked so beat and weary. When I saw deep in her eyes, I could see sorrow and longing for company. And yet she never asked for it. Everything I ever did for her, I had volunteered to do it.

In that moment I realised, I could never hold her accountable for the situation my friends and I were in. It was our choice and our doing. She never asked for it.

I felt guilty again, for going off at her when she showed Raymond even an ounce of respect. It was my jealousy that got the better of me. I smiled back at her, nodding in approval. "It'll be over soon."

Her smile faded.

"We'll figure something out," I said immediately to cover myself. There was no way she could know about the piece of paper.

"If Augustus asks for me, I'll go."

"There won't be any need for that." I was close enough to lift my hand up and tuck her hair behind her ears. My sudden gesture made her body tense.

"Why?"

Because I'm sacrificing myself.

My fingers rested below her ears, slightly grazing her skin there. She shivered slightly under my touch. I heard her raspy breath as she inhaled deeply.