27| The First Step

As promised.

Love, K!

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dedicated to:@aasthareadsbooks

Thank you so much for the consistent votes from the start of this book! I appreciate it so much :):)

"He was a warrior with a fighter's mind and she was a battle he lost every time."

~ c.l.

Carlton's POV

"I miss Poochie," Breanna pouted as we got off at the airport.

"He'll be alright with Avery." I smiled but I knew that Avery was probably crushing the poor dog with a hug until he wished for death.

An attendent was waiting for us as Phil and the chauffeur removed our luggage.

"Mr. Hargrave?" The Emirates attendant asked in a thick arabian accent, pulling the most polite grin she could, "This way please."

Breanna gave me a pursed smile, raising her eyebrows.

"What?" I matched her expression.

"If someone asked me that so nicely, I would follow them anywhere."

"See, this is why you always get in trouble."

She giggled, her gaze excitedly falling everywhere as we followed the Emirates attendent. The airport was pretty busy at this hour. People of all kinds were staggering down the collossal halls. Some were rushing, and some took their own sweet time. It was noisy in the most ambient way.

The echoes of announcements of departures and arrivals bounced off the walls of the airport, making me sleepy and excited at the same time. Breanna playfully punched my shoulder. "You guys are treated like babies. Who doesn't know how to get to their..."

Her voice faded away as the attendent led us right towards our plane. "...check-in counter."

"What's the matter?" I grinned as the Phil stopped behind to finish our check-in process and we were led into the plane.

"That was convenient," she said. I noticed she was visibly uncomfortable, all of a sudden; she sulked closer to me as if hiding from something.

Walking in, my claustrophobia hit me painfully, again. The scent of the seats and the oxygen-rich, airplane air, enriched my senses and made it a little bit easier for me. The plane was huge though, unlike Damien's jet where my claustrophobia made me suicidal. And I was beginning to feel like I needed to ban private jets for me.

The business-class was upstairs and Breanna cluelessly followed me as if she had never been in a plane before. So I reached down and clasped her hand, squeezing it gently; to show that there was nothing she needed to worry about.

An air hostess then lead us to our cabin. Breanna's mouth fell open.

The air hostess asked, "The flight will take off in thirty-two minutes. Is there anything you require?"

"No, thank you." I smiled.

After she left, Bree threw her hands up. "What is this madness?! We could live here!"

I suppose she was referring to the small cabin we were provided, with only a bed and a T.V. However, the best airline business-class services were provided by Emirates and I had made sure to make this trip the best it could be.