38| The Unplanned Escape

Dedicated to: tanu_01

"I am exhausted from trying to be stronger than I feel."
~ allwishquotes.com

Carlton's POV

Breanna Riley was an extraordinary woman. She was strong, brave, caring and most importantly, forgiving.

"Lookin' for me?" Her eyes hovered towards my torn shoulder gripped between my fingers. "You got shot?!"

She dropped on her feet beside me, hurriedly unbuttoning my shirt. Yanking the shirt down my left shoulder, she held me down asking me to let her examine the wound.

"It's really bad."

I'm sure it was, considering my whole left arm was tremoring down to my fingers and had fallen numb. The left side of my neck was stiff too, burning everytime I tried to move.

"We need to get you to a doc." Before she could help me up, we heard a grunting noise coming from the back. The man who she had knocked down with her car, was getting back up again.

Blood streamed down the front of his face, yet he scowled loathfully at us.

"This guy just doesn't know when to give up." Breanna muttered with frustration and I think I spotted a hint of mischief in her voice, I think.

Lifting her hoodie up, she unsheathed what looked like a dagger, it's glint reflecting off its pointy end.

"Breanna, no!" I screamed for her to stop, because that man was brawny and had almost choked me to death earlier. But yet, she made a run towards him.

He growled seethingly, like a monster on a rampage and swung his arm at her. She managed to dodge it easily. Another punch swung toward her and she ducked it too.

I was trying to get up but everytime I did, my wound throbbed, weakening my whole body. I watched as she lunged towards him, and since she was way shorter, she easily dodged his arms and stabbed the man in his chest. The man grunted and attempted to push her off, but she remained stiff, twisting the dagger detestably in his chest.

Finally, she hopped back, pulling the dagger out and kicking him so he fell backwards.

And he lay still.

"That should do it." She blew a hair strand from her face, panting as her eyes met mine.

She was a dynamite. I loved it.

Helping me up, she used my own T-shirt to wrap it tightly around my shoulder to stop the bleeding. It hurt a lot. It was kind of a frustrating pain that just wouldn't go away. It was blinding and deafening me. I could barely hear anything from my left ear.

Tears stung my eyes as I sprawled in the backseat of the car.

"Where's everyone else?!" She asked, sliding behind the wheel, revving the car on.

"Dylan got shot. They took him-" I groaned as the car jumped. "-to a hospital."

"Dear God."

We were out of the parking lot now, circling the backside of the premises. Breanna looked around, probably searching for Phil, and then her eyes met mine in the rear view mirror.

Cold sweat enveloped my whole body. My vision swayed dizzily from side to side. And I was gasping. Gasping as if my head was submerged underwater.

"Carlton...are you...?"