35| The Startling Destiny

Dedicated to: xCherryStrawberryx

Thank you for being so awesome! I love how much you support me <<33

"It's a lie. Time does not heal all wounds."
~ thelifeididntchoose.com

Carlton's POV

I picked at my nails vigorously, feet tapping the ground in a restless manner.

"What happened now?" Damien, who was sitting beside me, asked.

I had no idea. Dylan, c'mon. Hurry.

The video in front of us suddenly switched to a black screen. Damien and I braced ourselves. But then, a thank you" message was displayed.

"Dammit." I let out a breathless sigh. Dylan messed it up, didn't he?

Augustus and the other panellists stood up with pride, shaking and congratulating each other while the crowd cheered for their tremendous efforts towards betterment of the society. Vexed, I got off my seat and headed once again to the projector room.

I was going to destroy Dy-

A noise emanated from behind me. A silent crackling like interference from an old television. I turned behind and surely, the presentation was cut and something else was on the screen.

But not what we all were expecting.

We were supposed to display the proof of Augustus' frauds and how he scammed his investors off millions and bribed several coorperate entities. Somewhere in there was an audio of a death threat sent to Breanna, recorded by him. But none of that was showing.

Instead, a glitchy video recorded from someone's phone was displayed. It seemed that who ever was recording it was trying to hide his phone from the others around him.

The people around me were blissfully unaware of the video, talking away with one another as if it were a part of the presentation. But it wasn't. I knew it wasn't. Because a few rows up ahead, Augustus was disconcertingly gripping his colleagues shoulder with distress.

When the phone in the video was slowly lifted up to see what was going around, an eerie silence fell around the conference hall, like a wave of realisation hitting the souls present under that roof. Each and every individual's gaze was glued onto the screen while several of them let out a frightful gasp.

It was Breanna's caretaker, Aunt Vivian, who had supposedly died a few years ago under mysterious circumstances. Nobody knew how or why it had happened. News outlets scurried around for a hint, a head start, anything. All of that, because Aunt Vivian was at a respectable position and a generous lady, and her sudden death a caused panic to flood the headlines.

That same lady was in that video, alive and was being cornered into the wall by a handful of men.

And one of those men was...Augustus Bancroft.

"Fuck..." I exclaimed, endeavouring to hold a chair nearby for support. Because, by God, Breanna told me it was Augustus who had murdered Aunt Vivian and I knew it, but this wasn't what was supposed to be shown on the screen to biggest business tycoons today.

Aunt Vivian dropped onto the floor, screaming that she was sorry, lifting her trembling hands up to her face. But the Augustus, in the video, wouldn't listen. He lifted his arm up, pointing a pistol right to her forehead.