39| The Crumbling Faith

Dedicated to: LisaLaloo

"Trust is a dangerous game."
~ Pinterest

Carlton's POV

My whole body was consumed with hammering pain. I was stuck in my bed and heard a piercing noise of glass shattering from outside the bedroom.

Phil burst into the room, a gun in his hand. Swiftly, he locked the door behind him. "Don't worry. We've got it under control."

My voice trembled. "Phil...what's going on?"

When I said it, almost immediately after that, the window beside me shattered too, the crystalline shards flying towards my bed, moonlight aiding the glimmer emanating from them.

Gasping, I hopped out, falling off the bed to sheild myself. The gunshot wound was still fresh, sending a buzzing pain throughout my body.

I peaked. A tall silhouette of a man with a coat and a hat came in view. I couldn't see his face, but déjà vu spread my mind like a disease, almost instantly.

The man dressed in a long black coat, flapping with the wind surging through the window, glass shards stuck on his clothes, glistening under the faint moonlight. A pistol was clasped in his left hand.

My eyes widened.

I remembered that symbolic dressing style.

Phil jumped on that man, immediately falling into a strangling fit with him. I crawled backward till my back hit the wall. One more blow, and Phil had successfully knocked him out. At this point, my mind had been wiped blank. However, my body worked on its own, standing up and making for door.

Phil tried to stop me but I had already walked out.

Gunshot sounds were omnipresent. But I could only here my raspy breaths echoing in my head agonisingly as my bare feet came in contact with the ice cold, hardwood floor.

I walked right into a scene I had never expected. Several people were fighting eachother. But the black coats and hats of the mysterious men were distinctive.

Everyone froze when they saw me.

For a moment an eerie silence lingered in the air. My eyes automatically searched for Breanna but met someone else's instead.

Jovan had stopped mid-fight. "Carlton!" His eyes fell towards my heavily bandaged chest and shoulder.

Caden moved. He removed a pistol pointing it aggravatingly at Jovan. "Nobody move or I'm blowing his head off."

My heart throbbed. Jovan worked for my Father but he was like my family. It had skipped my mind that he had asked me to come home to Father and if I didn't, he'd come for Breanna. And now he was here.

The black coat and hat was my Father's preferred dressing style that he had asked his entire gang to implement. I remembered.

Caden somehow already knew they would come. He was prepared. Is that why he brought me to New York? To protect me?

I held my hand up to stop him. "Caden, don't hurt Jovan! Please!"

Gritting his teeth, he lowered his weapon, never turning away from Jovan. "You thought you could come after my brother in my house and walk out alive?!"

Did he just say my brother? Just when did Caden consider me close to him at all? "Caden stop, he's family!"

"What fuckin' family?! I don't know this man. Tell me why's he here, huh Carlton?" He finally looked at me, enraged, challenging me to answer, even though he knew exactly who he was and why he was here.