13| The Unravelling Past

Thank you so much for coming back to this book!

Please make sure to vote and comment, it helps me out a lott :):)

Do correct me if I'm making mistakes!! LOVE YOU GUYS TO BOTTOM OF MY HEART <3

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dedicated to:@nupur_p456

Thank you so much for the consistent votes on this book! I appreciate your support very much!! You're so sweet ;)

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."

~ Goodreads.com

Carlton's POV

It was five in the morning when I left her apartment to walk away from her life, once again. But it was all my decision this time.

I was wearing Raymond's hoodie, that Breanna gave me, to hide my face from the people. Why did she have his hoodie in her apartment?

New York was painfully freezing this early in the morning. The sun peaked bashfully through the clouds, painting the dove-grey sky, with a shade of orange.

My hands were numb and my nose hurt from the biting cold. I tucked my hands into the pocket of the hoodie, to warm them, as I trudged down the vacant street.

I was inhaling through my mouth and I could see my breath as I exhaled. I increased my pace, hoping that it would end the war of emotions in my mind.

I didn't want to leave Breanna. I knew she didn't need me to stay safe; she had friends like Ray and Ace protecting her. But I wanted to be around her, to feel her presence.

But maybe it was in their best interest for me to leave. Staying might've put them in more trouble than they were already in. And moreover, Ray seemed capable enough to take care of her; way better than I would.

And she loved him too.

Gulping, I licked my chapped lips. The bullet graze was burning more with every step I took. She had done a great job bandaging it, but it wasn't enough.

Now I was walking away again; back into my life of pathetic revenge tactics and money laundering, and fighting off goons trying to nab the Hargraves' fortunes.

My life had just begun and I was already tired of it.

Soon, my Mom would call me, asking me if I was done with my vacation so I could start working for my brother's company. And I would say I didn't want to because I was planning to start my own.

When I was born, my mother and father got a divorce. My Mom took custody of Caden, who was four years elder to me and moved out of California forever.

They left me when I needed them the most.

But it didn't hurt that much because I was too small to understand anything. My Mom video-called me every single week to ask how I was. She even visited me every few months and played with me for hours. But Caden, on the other hand, was never interested in spending time with me.

I waited every hour of every day for my Mom and my brother to come back. But they never did.

It was just me and my Father.