49| The Bewildering Embrace

Dedicated to:AsassinPrincess

Thank you for being an enthusiastic reader!

So this is the second last chapter of the book.

Only the last chapter and the epilogue are left! I'm in tears. I want to finish it, but I will miss writing Carlton's POV so much (T.T)

Please do vote! It helps so darn much ^^

Love, K!
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"Progress is dancing to the same song that I used to cry to."
~ weheartit.com

Carlton's POV

I grasped that the men helping us were my Father's, but I didn't expect to see him here in this city in the slightest. My mouth hung open and I felt my friends freeze at the sight of him as well.

Father leaned on his matt-black Bugatti, taking a long puff from his expensive cigar, a beam forming on his lips as he held the cigar between his teeth.

My immediate instinct was to whip my head toward Caden, coaxing him for answers.

He muttered under his breath, "I asked him to help me with your rescue." His face was distressed, utterly disappointed in himself. "I had no other choice. I couldn't have done it alone...I'm sorry."

Seeing the distraught on his face, my anger materialized into fear as I looked back at my father. So this is why the police was on our side this time. The police's favour was with none other than our very own father; not the Bancrofts, or the Price family.

Father stood straight, reaching for his hat and lifting it up slightly, bowing in Caden and Alexandra's direction as a form of greeting. Then he proceeded to open the back door of his Bugatti. My heart stopped when he looked right at me, his eyes travelling from my face to the open door of his car.

He wanted to me to go with him.

"It's your call," Caden said from beside me, "If you wanna go...or not." But Caden's anguish screamed otherwise. Father never did favours without expecting something back, even if it was for his own son. Truth be told, he probably helped us only because he knew that Caden would have to give me away. Our hands and feet were tied with our father's "courtesy".

Therefore, I decided to do what was right...for me and for Caden.

My fingers grazed Breanna's. She looked at me with terror on her countenance, shaking her head. I pulled her into a hug, placing a kiss on her hair. Her strawberry scented locks now reeked of gunpowder and ashes.

"I'll come back for you," I whispered so slowly into her ear, that I doubted if she heard me at all.

She shook her head again. "No..." That was all she could say.

I pulled back, embracing Dylan and nodding a thank you and a goodbye at everyone else, all the while, gripping Breanna's hand in mine. Caden wasn't even able to meet my eyes, either because of regret or sadness.

When it was time to leave, Breanna yanked my arm toward her, sternness anointed on her features, begging me to stay. I unwinded her fingers off my arm gently. "I have to go." I lifted my hand up, pressing my thumb lovingly on her bottom lip, dusting off an ash particle. "I'll come back for you."

Her grip finally loosened on me and I backed away from her, looking back at my father who was overjoyed with my decision. But really, it was no decision at all. He had made me obligated to do this.