23| The Implausible Secret

Dedicated to:MisterTent

Thanks for giving me and one of my most sophisticated characters, Carlton, such lovely cameos in your book! It was absolutely fantastic!

Check out his book "Cauldron Academy" guys! It's written really well :):)

"Always remember, someone's effort is a reflection of their interest in you."

~ lifeadvancer.com

Carlton's POV

The wine glasses tinkled as the girls cheered, giggling and gossiping amidst one another. Occasionally, the boys chimed in with quality jokes and everyone seemed to be having a great time by the bonfire.

Even Raymond had dissolved into a highly indulged conversation with the blonde beside him.

Slow jazz music was playing in the background, the flames in the fire pit dancing with the melody.

I looked down at Breanna, who had placed her head on my chest. Caressing her hair, I whispered to her, "Do you like the place?"

She looked up slightly, smiling mischievously, "It's beautiful. It's like a dream."

Oh, it was.

Having her here with me was a dream alright.

I hadn't seen her this calm before. Every time I saw her, it always felt like something in the back of her mind was bothering her. Not now, though.

"Where's Dylan?" She asked.

And at that moment, I felt a pang in my heart.

"He's not well...I guess." Breanna knew him because Dylan was in the same high school as us.

That made me think how long Dylan and I had been friends. It had been more than nine years. All of a sudden, I felt bad that he wasn't here with us.

"Hey, Avery?" I called out to her while she twirled a wine glass and was probably flirting with Raymond, "Where's Dylan?"

"Oh, he didn't wanna join. He's up there." She pointed at the terrace above the third floor of the villa and sure as hell he was standing there all by himself.

I sighed. Dramaqueen.

As much as I wanted to fall asleep with Breanna in my arms, I also wanted to squash the beef with Dylan.

So I smiled at her, squeezing her shoulders as I got up to go talk to him.

Picking up two wine glasses and bottle of a rare Domaine red wine along on the way, I headed upstairs to have a drink with the most normal guy in my entire friend circle.

The terrace was spacious, overlooking the other villas in the neighborhood, hidden betwixt the trees. It was spacious enough to have a whole rooftop party.

The wind up here was gusty, my shoes clinking against the tiled floor.

"Hey, buddy."

Dylan completely ignored me.

"Oh, cmon! You can't possibly hate me for protecting you." I walked closer, placing the wine glasses on the terrace sill.

"Protecting me?" He narrowed his eyes at me. "I told you that I wanted to help."