Chapter 2 ~ Space Port

I sat in the corner, fiddling with my Wispon in my hands. I was pretending that I was waiting patiently, but anyone smart enough would know I clearly wasn't. I kept taking glances at everyone in the room, trying to learn what I could about them. It was something to pass the time.

The silver hedgehog seemed to have a positive aura, but still serious by the way he crossed his arms. He seemed... sad. Every few moments he would have a sorrowful flash in his eye. But it wasn't just him, everyone. I knew why... the loss of a friend affects everyone differently.

The pink hedgehog has been on the radio line for ten minutes now, calmly sending reinforcements to help a recon team named "X-Ray", while collecting information about how many foes they were facing. I note that was the only female.

The large green crocodile – who was guaranteed to be the oldest one here – seemingly took pride in the gold chain around his neck. He stood straight with his head raised. It made me shiver at the thought of having something around your neck, surrounding your windpipe and choking you, yet unable to take it off. I don't understand how someone could be alright with that. Sure, I wear a bandana, but I have a reason.

I had caught the chameleon staring at me earlier. It made me uneasy, I don't like attention. He was hard to read, just sitting there quietly, no emotions to judge. I felt like he was judging when he had tilted his head at me.

That bee... "Charmy". I don't like him much already. He blurts out things without thinking of the consequences.  Charmy shouldn't be in this war... Is he even old enough to engage in battle? He should have been evacuated to one of the adolescent safehouses with the rest of the kids.

The Commander, Knuckles... he seems to care. It was weird to has someone support me... But by the little nervous glances Knuckles gives his team, he cares about all of them even if he keeps his face hard and arms crossed.

The things I have "learned" could be misunderstood. I've observed everyone for almost half-an-hour, though it feels like ten times longer. In frustration, I accidently let out a low, annoyed growl. It came out harsh, aggressive, and loud.

Everyone in the entire room turned to look at me. Confused, and somewhat frightened expressions appeared on their faces.

I knew I messed up. Their faces screamed "who the hell did we just recruit?" All I could do was stare back, feeling pinned underneath their gaze. The staring contest had only lasted a few seconds before I shifted my gaze back to my Wispon. My face burned red with shame, embarrassed about how I had acted out for such a petty reason.

It took a moment before I felt everyone's gaze move off me. Not that I had looked back up to see it, not until I had heard the ringing of the line which indicated that a new transmission was coming.

I look up to see the pink hedgehog put on her silver headset. She was on the opposite side of the room, so that made it difficult. Of course, I can't hear, I think sarcastically. Almost mad at myself. That's basic logic.

"It's for you, Commander," the girl says, taking off the headset and holding it out to Knuckles.

He took it from her, put it on, and listened. I noted Knuckles' silence as the speaker's voice spoke. Within seconds, his expressions changed, he looked like he could either jump for joy or faint.

Knuckles turned his back to everyone, stepping over to the wall. He held a hand on the concrete, not looking up from the floor. He was hiding himself from the others, but I could see the tears that shimmered in the corner of Knuckles eye as he grinded his teeth in attempt to hold in sobs.