Chapter 43 ~ Questioning

Nothing. Just black. Everything was that one solid colour. That was all that surrounded.

   Then a face emerged.

   Or could it really be called a face? It had no mouth. The black muzzle didn't have a distinct place it started on the white surface, just fading into existence. The eyes... they were so inhumane. Cold, emotionless. Pupils white.

   They slowly extend their white glove to me, sharp nails predatory. Two other figures were hiding in the darkness behind the white phantom. One had a set of eyes that glowed an alarming orange. The other had a silvery iris while their right poured out a purple that sent shivers up my spine. That colour... the violet seemed to have a craving. One I didn't want to think too much about.

   "I am part of you," the white creature in front of me says. My heart pounds in my neck, thudding in my ears. "You are part of me."

   In an instant the two shadowy assistants are gone, and two sets of limbs are grabbing onto my own. There was a low laugh from my right ear. I turn to face it, eyes wide. I wanted to scream when I saw the face the chuckle belonged to. They had an unnaturally large mouth, long at the sides. Their lips curled to reveal a mouth full of sharp teeth.

   The demon like thing lowered their silver and violet gaze. They forcefully raised my hand to Phantom's. I was unable to squirm, struggle or scream, and that was what make my pulse race even more.

   Phantom takes my hand in his own then leans in close. Fake face nearly touching mine.

   "You must put your trust in me to complete your goals. After all, you did do so once, you must do so again."

   "This will never end," the low voice says from my right side. The demon-like canine grinning wider. "You will never get away from us. We won't leave you alone until you give in."

   A psychotic laughter erupts from the other side of me. I turn to see a glitching face, hair all in jagged pieces.

   "W-we, we, we, we," it seemed like they were stuck in an audio loop of sort, "still have so much fun left!"

   Phantom looks at his two unnamed cohorts. "Leave him be, for now."

   I am released. My legs fail me, and I crumble to the floor. A cold hand grips my cheek, lifting my gaze to face the white devil.

   "I will not fail..." Phantom says. They lean in close, whispering. "... Zero."

   I was already half awake, facing the wall with a lack of motivation. For some reason I trusted the jackal in the same room as me enough not to end my journey while I slept.

   I mean, that trust has held up fine so far. I flipped over with a painful gasp, gunshot wound shooting pain throughout my whole body. I was certainly awake now. With my knees curled to my stomach I stare at the jackal not far from me.

   A ghost of a smile grows on my face when I see that he was clutching onto one the blankets in his sleep. Half under his head while he hugged the rest of the fabric.

   He is going to need medical attention as soon as possible, I think. Morphine and gauze aren't good substitutes. But how to convince someone to treat him...? Everyone will likely want to either turn him in or kill the canine themselves.

   The jackal once called Infinite tosses; hands clenched. He twisted again, body squirming slightly on his back. Infinite groans, sucking in air through his teeth,