Chapter 4 ~ Search Party

It's been several minutes now. I've been staring at the floor this entire time. I couldn't really think about anything, just drifting. The only thing I could do was try to collect my scattered thoughts.

   Come on, I think to myself. Stay focused. You can't let the black pit swallow you, not now.

   Taking a large breath, I walked back through the doors. Amy was sitting in the corner with her face inches from her laptop's screen. Charmy, Espio and Vector were in their own circle on the other side of the room. And Silver was leaning against the wall watching everyone. However, I notice that he kept taking glances at me.

   He didn't trust me. I can't blame him. Silver doesn't know anything about me.

   Besides, the mistrust was mutual.

   Knuckles was speaking to someone over a transmission, standing at the end of the table and looking into a tablet of sort. Knuckles and the other person were obviously well into their conversation.

   "How's Sonic doing?" Knuckles asked the screen, eager. Everyone quickly twisted their heads to Knuckles at the mention of Sonic's name.

   "He's been better..." a female voice responded. Her voice was sly, almost seductive. "Soon he's going to be banished into space."

   The way she said those few words were almost too calm. Now this has piqued my interest. I move my position as everyone crowded around the screen. I stood slightly further in the background of the screen's view, enough to barely see who was on the screen, but not anywhere near the crowd where I could be noticed.

   The voice belonged to a female bat. I could tell by the giant ears sitting atop her head. She wore a ton of blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick. Her style of clothes was... questionable. I had a feeling of irritation, I frown. Girls who dress and speak like that get on my bad side. It isn't easy to explain the reasons why, just that most girls who act like that are often bad news. Also, most girls like that have... larger chests, and I'm not... I'm completely lacking because of my uneven growth from irregular periods of feeding. I haven't been made fun about it directly yet, but I have a sense that other girls feel that they are better than me.

   I don't know where I come up with these thoughts, my insecurities get the better of me. But I did know that I wouldn't get along with this bat if we met face-to-face. I try to remind myself that there's more to people than what's on the surface, but sometimes I can't have empathy towards certain people. So instead of putting myself in the bat's shoes, I remind myself that we will likely never meet.

   "You can't be serious!" Silver yells, placing his hands on his head.

   "Eggman's kept him alive through the whole war so he could show Sonic his completed empire. When that time came, he was going to banish him," the white bat continued.

   It confused me that she knew all this. I guess the doctor would be ecstatic that he is finally going to kill his nemesis and would likely broadcast it to the entire world. But Robotnik has changed his ways for this war, he never let anyone know that Sonic was even being held prisoner.

   Was the bat the one who told Knuckles that Sonic was being tortured in the first place? I guess she's the "spy" everyone keeps talking about. She must be very good at her job if she managed to find out this information... Then again, it took six months. Sonic has been waiting half a year for somebody to break him out, but the outside world is tearing itself apart and isn't even aware that their hero is still breathing.