Chapter 15 ~ Our Hell

"Well, that's mission accomplished," Rouge says, already back at her laptop. "The Phantom Ruby's energy signal is much weaker now."

   "This should effectively put a stop to the doctor's weapon," Shadow said. His arms crossed, as usual. The ghost of a smile on his face.

   He addresses "Eggman" by other titles. He has a certain degree of respect for that villain too. What's Shadow's story with him? I wonder.

   Gadget added onto the conversation. "Sonic has made an opening for us. We can't let it go to waste!"

   Shadow stared at Gadget strangely, wondering who he was. Gadget clearly felt nervous and regretted his comment. Staring at the floor.

   "He's right," Silver smiles, making Gadget feel much more welcome. "Now we can finally settle the score!" Silver smiles.

   There was a beep, a flash on the Amy's computer screen. A letter showed a "1" over an envelope. Amy stepped over to the table, to her laptop.

   "It's from Eggman," she informs, nervous, but reads the letter anyway. "'You've won yourself another day to live. Enjoy this time while you can. You've only delayed the inevitable'."

   There was a dead silence. Everyone staring at those few sentences. Dumbfounded. It was late in the evening now. And we have just been given another 24 hours... But wasn't the energy supply destroyed? Shouldn't the plan be compromised all together? This means we've got two days to go... It was still a stomach-churning thought.

   Tails dashes to Amy's laptop, taking it from her.

   "Hey!" she exclaims.

   Tails types and few keys and clicks the mousepad. After some seemingly tense work, he exhales in relief as takes a step back, hands over his eyes.

   "What was that for?" Amy asks, dragging her laptop back towards her.

   "I don't want you to be opening any viruses. Eggman has a lot of tricks of his sleeves, we can't risk our technology being down. If our communication channels, energy readings archives go down then we're blind."

   "Okay then," Knuckles exhales. "Tech talk, stuff I don't understand." He straightens his back, taking his authoritative stance. "Everyone, get some sleep, and we'll fight for our lives in a few days."

   I heard the doors open and close behind me. An all too familiar voice spoke. "Sleep sounds awesome," Sonic says, yawning while stretching his arms out.

   Most seemed to agree. Yet a majority of the Resistance stayed and gathered around the table, disguising strategies or something else that my mind was too tired to care or pay attention to.

   I walked out of the room, heading to the cafeteria, or what we called one. It was a room that was no bigger than the bull pen. It was just with shelves full of food and a few tables. There was a pantry, a kitchen with some appliances too. A fridge, counters, sink, oven and microwave. Something told me that the microwave was used more than the stove.

   If I was going to fight at my best, I need food and sleep. So, I grab a water bottle, a granola bar and some jerky. I brought it with me to the table furthest in the corner of the room, even though no one else was here. I suppose it was my natural instinct that wants to people to know "Screw off, I don't want to talk to you", or "I'm not open for social interaction". I almost chuckle to myself with my strange mind coming up with these excuses.

   I opened the plastic package, taking out then chewing on some jerky, putting my aching feet up on the table. I stared at my worn shoes, thinking. Lost in thought.