Chapter 9 ~ The Fakes

"W-who, who are you?" the red wolf questioned, shakily raising his pistol in my direction.

   I notice that how uneven his aim was, the handgun was held ever so slightly to my right. His amber eyes were squinted. Yet my hands raise in surrender anyway. The young soldier either saw the roll of gauze in my fist or any energy he had had worn off. The wolf lowered his gun, eyes almost guilty. They seemed accepting of whatever was about to happen to him.

   With the gun no longer held on me, I rush towards the soldier and wrap his thigh in gauze. Within seconds it turned red. I wrapped it again, overlapping the last, and ensured to keep it tight so that more blood could remain inside his system.

   The young soldier winces. His eyes seemed distant. It must be blood loss, I think. He can die if I don't pay attention to his vitals. I wish I had morphine. Feeling slightly guilty for his pain. I forgot to grab some while at base, again, and now this person is paying the price. I lightly pat his shoulder, assuring him I'll be back.

   I scramble to a pale pink puma who laid on the ground, crying as she held her stomach. I was inches away when the distortion of darkness swooped in, and the girl was sent into a wall. The wind and force of this attack made my eyes go wide and I fall backwards with my uneven balance. The girl left a crack in the stone before she slid down with blood leaking from her skull.

   I stared in shock before standing up and run back to the wolf, trying to get out of the open. Before even getting close, there was a sharp pain in my stomach, a flash of black, and I was flying. I quickly launched my grapple, somehow wrapping around an exposed metal beam poking out of a building before I could hit anything. It stops me from being struck into something, but when I disconnected my knees still crumbled and I clutch my stomach in pain.

   Someone screams. Not long after, the blur came back. I grabbed my Wispon and fired it at the figure before it could come too close. The thing avoids the flames, and soon the blazes disappeared. I pulled the trigger again, fear creeping into my heart.

   Nothing. I toss the flamethrower aside, frustrated. I forced myself up with a grunt, then ran as fast as I could to a nearby soldier who laid facedown on the concrete. I grabbed his assault rifle and pistol, along with his ammunition. He didn't need it.

   The rifle aims out in front of me, ready to fire. The blur stood before me, his arms crossed, no emotion on his face. I froze. It's him.

   The rings on his wrists and ankles confirmed it. But something wasn't right. Shadow's eyes... they were the same red as I've imagined, but there was no light in them. Just flat. His pupils almost looked like slits, it seemed like the dark lighting of night didn't have any effect on them.

   How is Shadow here if Sonic is fighting him?

   Without thinking, I pull the trigger, the recoil vibrated into my shoulder. Shadow vanished before the bullets hit him. I looked around with my gun still raised. Out of nowhere, strong force slammed into me, knocking the gun out of my hands. I went flying several feet away, the crumbled concrete of the ground gave me a harsh greeting then my body rolls. When it's finally over, I whimper in pain.

   I sat up then a huge shot of pain originating from my entire torso. Is this how everyone died? Beaten to death?

   I regret not keeping my radio with me. Now there's no one to call, and nobody will know what happened here, to this squad, to me. And most importantly, nobody will remember Gamma.

   Shadow stood in front of me now. His emotionless face and cold eyes were all I needed to know he was ready to finish the job. Terror filled me, along with adrenaline. I quickly grabbed the pistol I had stolen. Aimed up, and fired.