Chapter 35 ~ Phantom

He wants to kill me. He is going to kill me. Why did she defend me? Why is everything falling apart? Why can't I keep control?

   Why won't they stop me?

   Sonic had mocked me. "That mask can't hide how sad and lonely you are" he said mere minutes ago. How dare he talk to me like that! He has no idea what I've had to do to survive!

   ...Was he right?

   The red cubes of rage all swarm my foes, Shadow and Sonic. They dodge and avoid, whenever they tried to get close to me, I sent more their way. This kept them at bay and far away from harming me. The muscles in my face change, the edges of my mouth are pulled up.

   I wasn't doing this. But the thought that Shadow was going to use all his energy and crumble to a powerless pile of flesh and bones did bring me satisfaction. I almost relished in the pain the Phantom Ruby had caused him, but I kept reminding myself that I wasn't the one who was fulfilling my promise I had made to my Squad.

   (Y/N) watches as Shadow and Sonic try and attack me. None of my cubes went anywhere near her, why? Her entire body was trembling, one of her hands was half closed in a fist. But she didn't move, her feet seemed like they were planted into the ground. (Y/N) didn't move.

   My body lowers to the ground slightly, and we move towards her. Why am I doing this? Why is the Ruby obsessed with targeting her specifically? Is it because she has pieces of a Phantom Ruby imbedded into her flesh too? Does my demon want to awake another so it could cause more damage than what was already done?

   "Have I not made it clear?" the Ruby asks (Y/N) while she stared up at us. Unable to move. "There is nothing left to save. Insisting will only cause you more persisting pain."

   We raise our hand close to (Y/N)'s face. Her eyes widen at the red light glowing from my hand. Her gaze moves to my eyes.

   "You are still on his side. Why is that?" Our words are bitter. "Even after what he had done? You had seen what Shadow did to us in our past life."

   Her face is desperate. Begging me to not put her through that illusion again. The crimson glow shines brighter.

   Stop tormenting her! I beg.

   "Perhaps seeing this again will drag your head out of the clouds." We touch (Y/N)'s forehead with two fingers. Her eyes widen but quickly go blank at our contact.

   Someone yells my name. Our head snaps to the side, my hand instantly comes up to block the tackle. Shadow broke through easily though. My energy was depleting and even the Ruby knew it was starting to exert itself. A horrible fear that I was going to lose this battle dawned upon me. But I was just as scared when I thought about what would happen if the monster inside me did win.

   Shadow attacks me, glowing body sizzling my flesh. A glowing barrier surrounds my body to stop the pain, but the heat begins to seep through quickly.

   He held me by my collar fur, eyes wide and glowing red, teeth bared. Hundreds of glowing yellow bolts appeared behind him, aiming down at me. I tug at the restraints that are restricting me inside my mind, only able to watch through my eyes as these events unfold. Shadow throws me to the ground, his foot making the descend quicker. When we hit the ground, Shadow is by our side in a micro instant. His fist sends me back up into the air. All the spears glow brighter, all we could do was cover our face with our arms and try and hope the shield would form quick enough.

   All the spears pierced through our body. Slicing, stabbing, impaling. It may have been the worst pain I have ever experienced. Even the controller of my body was yelling out in pain. Our forcefield had done nothing. Our arms are torn away from our head. The sharp bolts of raw energy spin our body around in every direction with red spraying through the air. Each time I thought it was over, more spears would come.