Chapter 13 ~ Files

Sonic and I walk through the doors. We had been called back to base since Tails had said that he was on his way with information from his trip to Robotnik's database. We had a quick trip to the armory so that I could grab some more ammunition, and then the hospital wing to grab some medical for our pain. Sonic still needed it for his injuries from his torture, and I needed it for my hurt ribcage. So, both of us had a reason to go.

   Everybody was in the bull pen. Except, of course, Tails and tiny Sonic.

   I have to come up with a better title for that small Sonic, I think. Junior? Junior Sonic? I don't know. I'll think of something eventually.

   I went to my crate that I had left my sketchbook on. I grab the book and the pencil, sitting down with it in my hands while Amy fussed over Sonic's recklessness in defeating Metal Sonic. Amy obviously watched the whole thing go down through my earpiece.

   The real reason I stuck to my crate in the corner was so I could avoid Shadow. I don't know what I'm going to do when we're face to face again, and I don't want to. Besides, there's already too many things to worry about.

   I heard a metal click, followed by shuffling feet, then a high voice. "I got it!"

   My head turns to the doors. Tails held a USB port in the air, victorious. Junior Sonic stood behind him, hands on his hips, smiling. Black eyes shimmering but dead.

   "I figured out a way to stop Eggman's Phantom Ruby!"

   "Great work, buddy!" Sonic walks over and pats Tails on the shoulder.

   "From what I've read, the Phantom Ruby requires an incredible amount of energy, which only resources like the Death Egg can provide. We just need to stop the energy flow, and boom, the Phantom Ruby is useless."

   "Simply?" Knuckles looks at Tails, skeptical. "It's a Death Egg."

   Sonic looks at Tails, hopeful. Seeing Tails eyes, you could tell that the yellow fox was expecting this response.

   "I understand," he replies, "that's why I have a plan. First, we distract Eggman. While he's not paying attention, we will be able use the Chemical Plant's computer. We can hack into the Death Egg's weapons system and shut it down. With no weapons, destroying the Death Egg will easy! No Death Egg, no Ruby."

   Knuckles looks at the floor, thinking, arms crossed. "Well... it might be crazy enough to work. You need a distraction?" He looks up with determination. I'll give you one."

   "No way, Knuckles," Amy buts in. Clearly not bothering with formalities. "You're too easily distracted for a distraction. Besides, you're our commander, we need you here."

   Knuckles held an eye roll, exhaling. Clearly hating being stuck here without being able to get out into the field.

   "What about her?" Silver gestures to me. "Eggman would never expect her out of all of us to attack him."

   Everyone in the entire room stared at me, eyes hopeful, or skeptical. It made me nervous, tense. I try to not squish my sketchpad, but I do snap my pencil in two.

   "You have your orders, Rookie," Knuckles says.

   "Told you she was tough!" Sonic walks over to Shadow who stood in the corner. Sonic punches Shadow's jokingly with his confidence boost.

   Is that why he took me with him to defeat Metal Sonic? To prove a point?

   Shadow slowly turns his head to face Sonic, agitated. Sonic laughs nervously and backs away from the dark figure.