Chapter 7 ~ Witness's Memory

Silver hadn't specified where Sonic could be, so I began where I started. The clearing where I had found Silver, then I searched the area around. Eventually I found several broken tree branches where the vegetation had begun to grow. They were snapped off and laid scattered in the dirt and grass. I knelt to them, inspecting. Worry fills me.

   The leaves on the branch were green and still lush. This wasn't from any natural causes. This was a fight, a fight that happened recently. I stood up and ran, following the trail of destruction, fear creeping into the back of my mind. A sense of concern that I didn't want to feel was gripping at my heart.

   I came to a ledge. It was like a slice through cake, a nearly straight drop to the next layer of dirt and grass down below. Down at the bottom were cracks in stone, scattered leaves too. Hints of a battle or struggle that happened. Within the flora, I saw a shape of blue. Sonic?!

   I jumped down the ledge, dragging my gloved hand and boot down the side of the rock so I don't injure myself in the process of saving somebody who is hurt. I rush towards Sonic once I landed on the ground. He was laying face down in the dirt and grass, unconscious. My eyes quickly examined him as I clapped my hands near his ear, trying to wake him up while I search him over for wounds. Which will be easy, since most of Sonic's bandages were gone, loosened or torn off.

   He stirred, groaning as his eyes fluttered open. Sonic didn't have any critical injures – that were noticeable anyway – but he took a hell of a beating. Sonic's body was littered with cuts, bruises and scrapes.

   I helped Sonic sit up in a comfortable position as I looked around, scared. The jackal wasn't here. But that didn't make sense... Silver had said it himself, that monster wouldn't let Sonic survive another fight. So why was Sonic still breathing?

   Sonic let out an annoyed growl, holding his head, as if he had a headache. Perhaps he had some sort of brain trauma I didn't know about.

"Gotta find out his weakness," he mutters.

   I searched Sonic head to toe, there weren't any bumps on his head. As I helped Sonic to his feet my eyes glance at Sonic's ears. There was no earpiece. His was gone too. My stare scans the area around us. It took a moment of searching, but I found Sonic's radio. It was snapped in half. I walk towards it and shove the device in my pocket even though it was useless.

   After, my hand grabs Sonic's hand. My left arm reaches out, launched my wire out towards the trees at the top of the ledge I had jumped off. The end latched onto a large branch then pulls us up. All I could do was hope that the rendezvous point where the Resistance was supposed to take Silver into intensive care hasn't changed.

   The ship the Resistance stole from Ivo Robotnik was taking up the entire clearing in the forest. The light of the moon was shining off the metal surfaces, not quite being subtle in the environment. Silver was nowhere to be seen. He must be inside the ship.

   I brought us down to the ground. Sonic slows my pace as he limps towards the ship. Once we reached the doors, I pounded my fist against the metal as hard as I can to make a loud sound. I expected the thick metal to absorb most of my blunt force, but I had somehow managed to make loud bangs.

   I heard a shift of metal and gears. My head snaps up to see a pair of cannons in the top corners of the shuttle's doors aimed at us. I raised my one hand that wasn't supporting Sonic, showing that we weren't a threat and were in fact on their side. After a few seconds, the guns went limp, compacted back into their crooks and then the door creaked open. I take a quick step back to avoid being crushed by the lowering metal ramp, then rush Sonic inside.