Chapter 18 ~ Lesson

Hesitantly, my hand went up to my bandana, tugging the knot loose. Slowly, I set cloth on the ground. Every instinct was screaming at me, demanding me to put it back on. But I took deeps breaths, muscles tense, and shoved the thought away.

   Though my gaze kept locked on my whiteboard, I knew Shadow was staring at the scars on my neck. The collar Robotnik forced me to wear had left marks. Scratches, some horizontal, most vertical. And, of course, the two pricks, holes on either side of my windpipe, thanks to Infinite all that time ago. Luckily none of this affected my voice box, not that it mattered, I have lost the ability to talk by the trauma I've been through all my life.

   Robotnik constantly tested new formulas on me, so the damage Infinite did wouldn't have affected me much, physically, anyway. Speaking of which, why did he keep me alive. Both Infinite and Robotnik? I've gotten away too many times for it to be an accident. Luck can't be a factor either. So how am I still here? Why am I still here?

   I quickly scribbled down what happened in Metropolis, trying to keep myself focused. When I fought Infinite in the city, he said that we've met before. He knew my name. I remembered our meeting in my sleep.

   I let Shadow read the board. I hoped I had changed the subject from the marking scattered around my throat. After a few seconds to pause to allow Shadow to read my thoughts, I cleared the board and continued.

   I could see him just fine. But his eyes... his face... I could never see it.

   When I woke up, I thought that I wouldn't be able to remember, never see his face. So, I did something stupid.

   I squinted. The words were becoming blurrier by the second. It felt as though someone was bringing down several hammers on my skull. I must have given myself a concussion when I hit my head. At one of the worst times, too. Hopefully it isn't long-term or permanent. I need to be in top condition.

   "Set an alarm every four hours," Shadow instructs, deadpan. His words were amplified, loud in my ears, though I knew he was talking in his normal whisper-like tone. "You need to be able to wake up, but you need rest."

   I gave a slight nod, forcing myself up. I grab my bandana and leave the board and marker on the floor. I walk over to my dresser, taking a watch that was set on top of the surface. I click some buttons to set the timer for the period Shadow advised. After I climbed into my bed and set my cranium down on my pillow. I slowly turned my head to the door, squinting my eyes again. The lights seemed so bright in my eyes.

   Shadow glanced back at me for a split second before opening the door, face emotionless. Once the door opens, Amy and Rouge were there to bombard Shadow with questions that my brain couldn't quite process.

   He ignored them all. "She just woke up in the middle of the night. She was feeling stressed about the big battle. When she tried to go back to bed, she accidently walked into the ladder. Whatever you think you may have seen was a trick of the light."

   What? I think to myself through my headache. He lied for me, again. Why? He doesn't need to. Shadow could just tell them the truth. He isn't gaining anything from lying.

   I yawned, exhaustion kicking in. My eyes became heavy. Somehow, I could still see Shadow flip the light switch, room becoming pitch black except for the light emanating from the doorway and my watch. I didn't feel the need to squint anymore, less strain on my eyes. It almost helped my aching mind.

   Shadow left, without a word. Amy and Rouge exchange confused looks, almost skeptical, but walk back inside the room.

   Amy immediately stepped over to me as Rouge closed the door behind them. Amy had two objects in her hands. A cloth and a pill bottle. She sat at my bedside, dabbing the damp cloth on my forehead. A shot of pain went through my skull. I winced, tensing. I wanted to move away, feeling uncomfortable. I wasn't used to anyone taking care of me, it made me feel like I was being babied. Somewhere deep inside me liked not needing to look after myself, probably the kid buried inside me that never got a chance at a childhood, but then I just remember the harsh world and what little I know about the Resistance, then I want to handle things on my own.