Chapter 44 ~ A Vow

Infinite is struggling to hold onto me, arm wrapped around my neck for support. Every other step is a stumble or collapse.

Infinite growls with effort as we walk down a gravely slope, sweat drenched his body, balance worse than someone with a concussion. I eventually just call it quits and slowly lay him down. Rather delay a few minutes on our journey than have Infinite pass out me having to carry him.

He pants. "I-I'm fine, just keep... walking." He tries to stand up, but I pull his arm, making him sit and rest. Infinite stops struggling right then and there, giving in.

The jackal hung his head, pushing his damaged mask back up onto his head despite barely being able to breath due to his injuries and the hour we have travelled once it was noon. The sky was overcast, grey, draining the life and energy out of us. But that was no excuse to stop. I only had three days left until I was going to be promoted to sergeant, plus I have a literal gunshot wound that is going to be asked about, I need to get Infinite somewhere actually safe too—

I sigh, burying my face in my hands. So much going on in my brain. I run my fingers down my cheeks and then look at Infinite. He had his arms rested on his tucked knees, staring blankly ahead into the distance.

My gaze tries to follow his own. There was nothing of interest ahead. Just a brutalized ruin of what used to be a small town. The steady grey rubble slope below us probably used to be a road on the hill. That or a house or apartment. I'd rather not know the answer. More half-demolished homes with nothing but black scorch marks, lose bricks and what could be described as a ghost town was below us.

I didn't even know where I was going anymore. I just needed to get somewhere with a map, or better yet, a vehicle.

I stand, hold my hand up to show Infinite to stay. He didn't acknowledge the gesture, so I just turned and slid down the grey chunks of concrete and pavement. I hold my arms out for balance as the plates shift and bring me down to the level of the ruins.

I grab my rifle from my belt, stepping quickly but quietly, scanning through the buildings. Nothing seemed to be in any of them, especially since there wasn't much left of them. I slowly get to the edge of town, where the bricks started to hold a better shape of what they were supposed to look like.

I enter through a broken wall of a small four-story apartment, easily climbing upstairs since the rubble made a good staircase to the next floor. I didn't exactly want to be in a place that was so structurally unsound for too long so I quickly searched the apartment room I was in as fast and carefully as I could.

There was a bed, dresser, bathroom I didn't go into, and a coat hanger by the door that would exit into the hallway. There was still a large coat hanging from the rack.

I quickly snatch the dark grey tattered coat and rush out the way I came, stomach churning with each floorboard squeak. I look at the jacket closer once I was out in the light. It was way too large for me, heck, it would luckily only just barely fit Infinite. The long skirt of the coat was long, but it was torn and frayed. Luckily the chest and above were in good condition, though the hood was nearly about to rip off.

I sigh, though it wasn't much, it was better than nothing. I lower my gun to my side, lifting the jacket up so it wouldn't drag and get further damaged than it already was.

My heart pounds when I hear something closing in, in the distance. My ears perk up, my eyes widen.

A car.

I instantly run as fast as I can back to Infinite, nearly slipping when I rushed up the unsteady slope of loose gravel. Infinite looks at me confused but doesn't question anything when I grab him by the hand and drag him into a ruined home, where there were just barely four walls standing and no ceiling.