Chapter 36 ~ Disband

When did I go unconscious? I don't recall losing all feeling. I hoped everything that had taken place was a horrible nightmare, or a coma. The agony in my chest was an instant slap to the face that told me that it all happened. Nothing was fake. It was all real.

Slowly, my vision comes back. Water generates in my eyes, my lip trembles with the pure pain that burned in my torso. I whimper. I flip my body off my stomach, moving onto my back. A strange hot, thick substance covered the opposite side of my body. A sudden realization dawned upon me. It was my blood.

I bring a hand up to the gapping hole in my chest. It was a deep pit gushing liquid. I groan in discomfort.

I need to get up, I think. The spark to survive that has pushed me my whole life was fading away. It wasn't driving me anymore. Why? I failed. I failed everything. All this power that I had put myself through hell for was for nothing. I will forever be a fable for being the most pathetic creature to ever walk the planet.

The sun was created, but that didn't eradicate all the pain and suffering in this world. It didn't kill off the doctor. It didn't exterminate me, like I had planned all along so that the endless torture would end. Instead another version of me has taken the Ruby away to use for their own goals. This copy will have the same intentions, but not the same ideas on how to pursue my goals. They will stop at nothing. They will want to live forever. The Ruby slows down the aging process, that's why I wanted to kill everything along with myself. But the Phantom that possesses the Ruby now will stop at nothing to complete my ultimate fantasy: being the one end Shadow's loathed existence.

Shadow was right, I think to myself. My thoughts were barely in order. Swarms of emotions that I had ignored for so long were coming to attack me. I am so... weak.

I couldn't tell if the footsteps I heard were in my head or not. A hand presses down on the gap in my chest. My eyes shoot open and I scream in pain. My vision was blurry for a moment, then I realize it was my tears.

I saw the unnatural eye. Phantom. It was them. Its masked face was close to mine. There was no emotion in the fake duplicate of a body. Their eyelid was half closed to look condescending or mocking, but there was no real sign that they felt this way.

"I suppose even if you multiply zero by infinity," Phantom slowly pushes me back to the metal coated in my crimson paint, "you still get zero."

The blinding pain prevented me from speaking back to the entity who betrayed me. The words wouldn't come out. The hitched breaths barely filled my lungs. This was the worst pain I've ever felt.

I am going to die, I knew this. Make it faster...

A glow emanates from Phantom's hand. The pain eases slightly. Were they keeping me alive? No, I don't want that. The bleeding barely slowed. I grab their wrist, use it to pull my head up to look at them in the eye.

"D-d," I am only able to stutter starts of words. "S-st..."

Phantom places a hand under my head and lays me down. Everything is going dark. My hand loses all feeling and releases Phantom's arm, leaving behind a bloody mark.

No... I failed.

The world was numbing out around me. The wind was pulling at my hair, hitting against my back. After all this, nothing mattered. None of my actions changed anything that had happened.

The metal platform should be getting close now. What will it feel like when it greets my spine? Will it be a thud and then darkness? Or will I survive and squirm on the ground for a while? "Which one did I deserve?" was the bigger question.