Chapter 42 ~ Reel

Hours of silent nothing has passed, night has fallen. Infinite had been wordless the whole time. He barely reacted as I covered the fire with damn leaves after stamping it out. He barely acknowledged that I had cleaned up any sign of this being a campsite. And Infinite sure as hell has nothing to say not that I'm pointing my gun at him.

   He just stares, completely devoid of any reaction to the weapon. I don't know what I was doing, only hours ago Infinite wanted to be shot, so how is threatening him with it scare him?

   I jerk my head up, to the side. The jackal sighs. He rests a hand on the tree behind him, holds his breath and pushes himself up onto his feet. Infinite's muscles are trembling. With a groan of effort, he stands on his own.

   I couldn't really believe my eyes. Infinite had rejected any offers of morphine all day, how is he able to even breath without fainting when not high as a kite on painkillers? I had taken some a few hours and I'm still not feeling quite right.

   My hand ruffles around in my pocket again, finding one of the tiny needles. To get his attention I wave it around slightly, he sees, though it didn't seem like he really was "seeing". Infinite's gaze went all over, struggling to settle on me. Worry marks appear on my face.

   "Don't... don't need your damn pity," he shoves my hand away.

   Sadly, I was expecting this. The morphine was put back where it belonged, though I had a feeling I was going to have to use it sooner or later. Infinite even making out of the forest didn't even seem likely, let alone being able to travel for a few miles.

   This thought stumped me for a moment. Where was I even going? Where in the hell was I going to hide possibly the most wanted man on the face of the planet? I can't just keep Infinite outside; he'll never heal properly in the elements. Not there's anywhere to hide him either...

   God, I should have thought this through further. The only game plan I have is to hide him somewhere near civilization, where there is access to medical supplies and food. Out in the middle of nowhere those things are limited or don't exist.

   I gesture for the wounded jackal to follow me, he rolls his eye and sighs heavily. Slowly Infinite takes a step forward, stumbling his way ahead of me. I shake my head, gut dropping with an emending feeling of doom. Guilt as well it seemed.

   Infinite's gloves were clenched into fists, his breathing was shaky and full of anger. His footing was sloppy and often needed to lean against a nearby tree for support before forcing himself to walk again. I made sure to walk slow so that I didn't get ahead of Infinite and lose my... what would I call him? My captive? He isn't really a prisoner since I'm helping him. But ally is a stretch.

   Infinite is gasping for air, clutching at his chest, he presses his other hand against a tree again. I approach him after a moment of consideration.

   He swipes at me, almost hitting me. "Don't... don't bother. I, I can walk on my own!"

   Infinite pushes off, nearly falling to the ground but keeps hiking away somehow anyway.

   Why are you being so cooperative? I wonder, standing there and watching, grip on my rifle loosening. Why aren't you fighting back...?

   To get a grip with reality again, I shake my head and follow behind. Infinite was clearly struggling, and if we were going to travel a distance at all, we needed to move at a consistent pace. My hand reaches out to him, grabbing his arm.