Chapter 14 ~ Fair Fight

I've made it about halfway into the city. I had begun the loop around, but Knuckles had ordered me to await Karma Squad. They were meant to evacuate civilians from a compromised bunker, and I was supposed to assist.

   I checked my watch, getting impatient. Five minutes have passed. If Karma doesn't arrive soon, then I'm going to head out myself. Two minutes, then I'm leaving.

   I tapped my foot, thinking. About Infinite. I need to find out who he is. Or, who he was. When I was stuck in Robotnik's lab almost a year ago, he had hired a security team. Made up of black and white canines with bright yellow eyes. Jackals. I crushed my eyes shut, trying to recall a face, a name. Anything.

   There were seven of them, I think. One girl, the rest were boys. My hands turned to fists, knuckles white.

   Flashes of them appeared in my mind. A leather jacket, a red headset... Red bandana, scars. Shade? No, Shroud. I've heard that name, Shroud. Come on... there must be more.

   During one of Robotnik's twisted experiments, he had forced me into a ring. Used to fight with other robots, or other experiments. It was one of the worst things he made me do. Forcing me to fight, though I had no reason to. Just for survival.

   He had put that squad in the ring with me. I don't think I've faced them all. One of them hit me in the head, hard. It was a bit of a blur afterwards.

   Robots shoved me through the door into the ring, having just removed my restraints. I stumbled in. I shot a glare back at them, growling at them before the doors closed. I turn back ahead of me to see who I was facing this time.

   A black canine with a large, red floppy hat stepped in, snatching back his bandaged arm from a robot. "Get off me!" he growled.

   He looked at me, doors shutting behind him. His expression was mixed. Guarded, confused, aggressive. All his limbs were enclosed with gauze, the white coverings matched his pale white muzzle.

   I tug at the collar around my neck, trying to keep my windpipe free so that I could breath steadily. Metal can't magically stretch so barely anything happened.

   There was no way I could win. My thoughts instantly balance to the pessimistic point of view, like it always is. He was healthy. I was thin and beaten.

   My head looks up at the window surrounding the ring, high up, for a perfect view of the battles below. The single dark window surrounded the entire metal circle, so the doctor had to be up there somewhere. My eyes found him. Robotnik played with a remote between his fingers. Making sure I saw the device he could use against me.

   I bared my fangs at the bastard before looking around the ring. There were no weapons this time. But that didn't exactly mean a good thing either. We would have to beat each other with our bare hands. Unless the jackal already had a weapon, then I was screwed.

   We circle each other, waiting for the other to make the first move. There were bags under my opponents' eyes. I wondered what were underneath the bandages. Was he an experiment, too? I wonder. A part of me was humanizing them, or... Mobianizing. There was still humanity in me, somehow surviving my ordeals. I try to forget any morals since it would only hurt more when we both have to clash each other.

   I remembered the remote in Robotnik's hand. I had no choice. I charged the jackal, trying to forget the thought that he, too, had a reason to survive. It was easier that way.