Chapter 37 ~ Goodbye

Sonic and Shadow stare at me in shock. Nothing could describe what they were feeling, I knew this. Though the weight of the information I carried all alone was lifted, the expectation of Sonic or Shadow having a horrible reaction was the thing that made my anxiety go through the roof. I realize now that this may ruin my good friendship with Sonic. He is going to learn about everything. They both are! They're going to learn that I was meant to destroy them!

Will they reject me for this fact? Will they lock me up? My brain has already begun to overthink every possible bad outcome that will result of the butterfly effect.

"How...? What?" Sonic stares at his hands, confused how his DNA is a part of my own. Sonic's voice is deadly serious, unlike it usually is.

"How is this possible?"

"Sonic... there's a lot we need to catch up on," Shadow says, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Shadow explains what he knew about me. About how Robotnik kept me as his private pet project. How every day was like a living hell for me. How I had to fight the members of Jackal Squad—though I leave out the information about how Shadow killed them all. How I was spliced with an "unknown" subjects' DNA. And I had to write down on my board about how I had figured out that "S.S" stood for "Sonic, Shadow". The whole time, Sonic was quiet. Shadow would look at me in shock with the information I kept bottled up inside all alone.

When all was said and done, all the information was out in the open, Sonic said nothing. He was silent. No clever comments. No goofy smirks.

Nothing.

And that was the scariest reaction of all.

A strange sense of guilt filled me. Though I couldn't pinpoint the reason why I felt this way.

Sonic stares at me. His gaze was crushing my heart under a weight. The anxiety that I felt was enough to make me feel like I was about to vomit.

"So... you're saying that Eggman used you as a pet project?" Sonic eventually asks, voice shaking with anger.

I gulp then nod. My brows raised in shame.

Sonic slowly exhales, eyes closing, fists trembling. Wordless, Sonic stands up and starts to walk down the end of the hallway. Stunned, thinking that this was what rejection was I look at Shadow for closure. He looks at me, just as confused as I was, though he did better at hiding it.

Robotnik wouldn't have been at one of his known bases anyway. The remaining Resistance soldiers have already searched for the scientist, hoping to bring him to justice but only ended up finding them abandoned.

Shadow pats my shoulder then quickly gets up and catches up with Sonic. Shadow grabs the blue hero's arm.

"Where the hell are you going?" Shadow demands.

Sonic doesn't turn to face him. "To make Eggman pay."

Shadow grips Sonic's arm tighter. "How exactly are you going to do that?!"

My cobalt half-brother somehow snatches his arm back from Shadow. His snarling face was now visible.

"Run to his bases and—"

"—And get killed!" Shadow yells.

There was a silence. But Sonic's hands started shaking again, he blinked, the whites of his eyes seemed to glow. Utter hate was on Sonic's face. This couldn't be Sonic. He never acts this way. The last time he was like this was when we faced Infinite, or... Phantom, Phantom Infinite. Whoever that was.