Chapter 11 ~ Fear and Pain

I ran around a corner, continuing down the highway. I had been traveling for ten minutes now, and there was no sign of Infinite. Which had brought both a sense of relief and paranoia.

   Until now.

   My body locked up. My eyes went wide. He stood on the ledge of the highway, not bothered by the height or lack of a railing. Infinite pushed up his mask with two fingers before crossing his arms.

   "More ants to crush," he muttered to himself. "I wonder if this wold can offer me a real challenge before the end."

   Infinite's gaze shifted to the clouds below. "And as if to answer, the world sends me this." He knew I was there already, without even needing to turn around. He sensed me.

   Infinite turns around. "A trembling child."

   Was he insulting or speaking his thoughts? Since I've had to survive off little food so many times in my life, I was not a healthy weight, much smaller than I should be. It has gotten better, but you can still see my ribcage and spinal column at certain angles.

   I had the urge to run. But I couldn't move, fear rooted me in my place. I was tired from running halfway across the city. A part of me knew that if I ran away, I wouldn't get far. Infinite would find me and put an end to my cowardice on the spot.

   I blinked, only for a second. Infinite was right by my side, whispering in my ear. I recoiled but didn't move, stiff. I didn't know if he was keeping me held in place by some type of magic or if it was my complete and utter terror that made my body stick to the place I stood.

   "Are you going to fight and die here? Or run away in fear again?" he inquires. Infinite's voice sent shivers down my spine. Did he mean all those months ago? Or a short while ago in the city?

   The faces of my friends that he killed flashed in my mind for a moment, only when I blinked. Does he remember what he did to them? To me?!

   I take a step back, and then another. Fear took over any exhaustion I felt. Infinite tilts his head, ever so slightly. Mockery or curiosity? He sniggers under his breath, knowing I was terrified. Infinite's hands became fists, ready to finish me off for good this time.

   Questions filled my head. Do I stay? Do I run?

   I've run enough. If I run, Infinite will see me as a bigger coward than I am. If I fight, I may die. But that's an issue we deal with every second of everyday, that is what war is.

   If I'm going to die, I'm going to die fighting!

   Sonic's voice echoed in my head. "She's tougher than you guys think."

   "If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm always here, okay?" Amy assured, smiling kindly.

   "You're the only one I feel like I can have a normal conversation with," Leviathan admits. Crossing his arms, shaking head at the ground. Where was he now?

   "I'll be with you to the end of the line, sister!" Neon hugs me, bright blue eyes shimmering with joy. But then the next second they are closed, blood runs down her forehead.

   All these people in my life... They help me gather courage deep within me. My hands became fists, I shifted into a fighting stance. One hand was ready to unclip my assault rifle from my belt.

   "Very well," Infinite smiled. "I will teach you fear, and then pain." He points a sharp finger at me, then crushed his hand into a fist. "And then... well, at least the fear and pain will end."