Chapter 34 ~ Fleeting

Shadow's body instantly bursts into yellow flames. His hands become fists and he took a single step back, only to charge forwards with incredible speed.

I shield my eyes by holding up my arm. I quickly lower it though, not caring if I go blind. I try to stand up, my legs shake and an invisible force pulls me back down to the ground made up of darkness. It felt like I was destined to watch what was about to happen.

Shadow leaped up to Infinite, one fist held behind him so he could strike Infinite with it. Infinite holds up an arm, a red shield constructed itself out of cubes around his limb to block what was to come.

Shadow's blows right through the shield, breaking through the cubes and hitting Infinite in the chest. Right where the Phantom Ruby laid. Infinite was sent back from this force, he growled out in pain then soared rearward.

My eyes widen and I gasp, continuing to struggle against the weight tugging at my legs. Infinite hits against the ground, bouncing off and rolling away. When the jackal finally stopped moving, he lay there with his back to us, motionless. My heart pounded, and a swarm or different emotions filled me.

What about the person inside? I think. Shadow... killed him. After killing... Jackal Squad! My gut drops when I finally come to realize that my half-brother is a murderer. He...

Do I still care for him?

Shadow lands on the ground, taking a deep breath as he looked at Infinite's body. When the figure finally started breathing, Shadow stood up and walked towards it, the bright glow around him flickering for only a second.

Infinite groaned in agony, slowly punching a fist into the dark floor. With a trembling arm, he pushed himself up. Infinite struggled, managing to get to one knee. But then he went stiff, his other hand went to his face.

I then realize Infinite's mask was laying on the ground next to him.

Infinite stood up slowly, keeping his back to us. He reached one arm to the ground to pick up the mask. It was too calm. Infinite has always seemed like he never wanted to show his face, so why is he moving so slow?

He isn't in control.

Shadow takes another dash at Infinite while he wasn't looking. The jackal quickly turns his head around, teleports before Shadow could bump into him. Infinite reappears above Shadow's head and delivers a swift kick to the side of his head.

Shadow gets knocked back a few feet, a space missing in his barrier of flames and energy. It quickly replaced itself. Shadow lands on his feet, skidding away while he placed a hand on his head. After a moment he glares up at Infinite, teeth bared while his red eyes burned with anger and power. I swear the wound on his abdomen closed slightly.

"I'm not going to be slain by the same person who murdered everyone I cared for!" Infinite declared, several canons materializing in front of him. He crushes his hands into fists. "You didn't even know their names!"

Canons let out loud booms while they shot large explosive bullets at Shadow. The hedgehog punches through one, concentrating the glowing energy into his hand which causes it to detonate. It doesn't affect him at all. Shadow does a front flip over another.

"Axe and Adham, they were found dead inside the laboratory. Axe had a shattered spine." I heard the crunch of the jackal's spinal column as he collided with the giant test tube I was kept inside. "Adham, his twin brother, was killed his own weapon and blunt force trauma." I remember him laying on the floor, some blood running along a sword laid beside him.