Chapter 22 ~ Death Comes

We've met up in an apartment – abandoned of course – over five minutes ago. Knuckles had called for a meet-up there. Most of the Resistance was here. Knuckles, Silver, Amy, Shadow, Junior Sonic, Vector, Charmy and Espio. They were already here when we carried an injured Tails in. It wasn't until then that I began to panic about Rouge. She isn't going to be in a happy mood when she sees me.

But I reassured myself that would work out alright, it had to. The end of the god damn world is literally happening today. We can't have any stupid fights between each other breaking out.

"What the hell?!" I hear someone shout. I look at Sonic beside me, who had turned around to see what the commotion was. I had immediately recognized the female's voice. And I was right, she was not happy.

I slowly turn around, sighing. I tightly crossing my arms, unsure what to do with them, closing myself off. Rouge was landing on the ground, dropping off Gadget below her before storming towards me. Her eyes were a mixture of emotions. Frustrated, confused, angry, relieved.

"You just ran off after Infinite! I thought you were dead!" Rouge snarls in my face, gesturing outside the building.

Rouge was standing too close for comfort. I forced myself not to give into my instinct to take a step back and stared blankly at her. Which likely looked like my glare. Neon would always ask what I was wrong and why didn't look happy when she was... alive. It was simply my neutral facial expression. I had no reason to smile, so why should I?

Someone pushes us away from each other, two gloved hands with gold rings. Shadow stood between us, glancing at both the girls on either side of him.

"We have less than an hour before we all die, and you are squabbling?" he growls. "Since you seem so upset by this, why don't we hear both sides of the story... Shall we?" His last words are like venom, pure annoyance.

Shadow takes a steps back from both of us, believing that we – Rouge – could be trusted to not escalate our fight.

Rouge shoots a dirty look at Shadow before shifting her eyes to me. She rips off the targeting device off her left eye before speaking again, face slightly less agitated.

"You... ran off, after Infinite," she speaks slowly. Rouge's voice was irritated and was obviously was trying not raise her tone. "In what dimension would that work out where you don't get killed?"

Everyone was gathering around us, I could see them in the corner of my eye, feel their presence, and smell their sweaty odours. Stiffly, I uncross my arms, reaching onto my belt, grabbing my foldable whiteboard and its marker.

I was trying to kill him. I write and show her. Rouge reads it, then looks up, face not satisfied. Rouge takes a few steps towards me, straightening her shoulders, trying to make herself taller, more authority.

"We all want him dead. Clearly it was more than that, you look like something snapped inside you. And if you were 'trying to kill him'," Rouge air quotes, "you would have when you first saw him and not frozen in place. I saw, you were scared, even if it was for one second." She was silent for a moment. "I'm an agent and spy, don't you think that I can't figure you out, little miss uncanny."

"Rouge—" Shadow tried to reason with her, voice back to monotone. He knew my background and that there was much more to the story than whatever was first assumed.

"No," Rouge cuts Shadow off. "I am done with you being all mystery and not telling us anything. You running off after the enemy, being on radio silence for an hour and making me think it was my fault you might be dead is the last strike."