Chapter 3 ~ Gamma

Smoke filled my lungs. Death stung my nose. I was bleeding from countless cuts and scrapes, but I still ran. I duck behind crumbled chunks of concrete as I rushed to my fallen comrade. My Commander, Rex had narrowly missed a blast from the masked Mobian, but it had left a long gash across his stomach. Rex has been bleeding out for several minutes now. Not long ago, he had collapsed, but had been able to drag himself to cover behind a large stone slab that was buried horizontally into the pavement, probably a piece of wall at one point.

I rushed out from behind my shelter, dashing towards the grey wolf, moving as quickly as I could to avoid the blasts sent my way. Each of the three explosions shot at me barely missed as I tried to block out the voice of the one who fired them.

"There is no reason to resist," the deep voice says. The voice almost... glitchy? How could somebody sound like that? The voice itself was enough to send fear up my spine.

I slid on the ground, reaching the safety of the slab. I ignore the sting of the new scrapes. Rex sat there with his back against the stone, still clutching his assault rifle. Rex's pupils were dilated. Even though I gently shook his shoulders, his golden eyes stared blankly ahead, wincing. After a short delay Rex noticed that I was there. By the time he did, I had already gone to work.

I reached into one of the many pouches on my belt, my fingers wrapping around a small needle while my free hand pressed against the gushing wound in attempt to slow down the bleeding.

My hands were shaking, but I stuck the needle into Rex's shoulder, squeezing the end. I prayed the morphine would enter his body quickly. It hurts me to see him in pain.

I reach into another one of my pouches, pulling out a roll of gauze. I wrap them around Rex's torso to cover the wound.

Sweat stung my eyes, blurring my vision. Or was it tears? I couldn't tell. I'm not the one who should be doing this. Neon should. She is the actual medic. I'm not even done training yet. I am only the "backup field medic" if something ever happened to the original... it did. Neon had been caught in the crossfires of our enemy. She had been sent flying several dozen feet and hit her head. There was no way she didn't have a concussion. Not that I would know, when had I dragged Neon to cover, she was still unconscious.

Chocking back my feelings, I made myself remember the next step. Rex has lost at least a pint of blood, maybe two. Plus, he didn't even know that I was in front of him. Rex needed plasma, one of the four major components in blood. Otherwise he could die from shock.

I pulled out one of my two precious bottles of blood plasma, placing it above Rex's head inside a crack in the stone. Before I could stick the tube into his arm, Rex stopped me, placing a bloody glove on mine.

"D-don't need plasma," he stuttered, weak. But his voice firm as ever. Still acting as Commander, even when he is reaching death's doorstep.

"Give it to Ajax!" he says, looking to his right. I followed his gaze. Ajax was lying in the middle of the warzone, a chuck of flesh missing from his right side. Water shimmered in his eyes, some streaming down his face. Ajax crawled on his back slowly, one hand pressing down on the wound and the other firing his pistol as he tried to get to cover.

Did he get hurt when I ran to Rex?  Did I drown out his screams when I tried to block out the bloody confusion? I could have prevented this...

I looked back into Rex. My eyes were filled with worry. I couldn't leave him. My hand went to my pouch again, pulling out my other bottle of plasma.

"No..."

What the hell was he saying? You'll die!

"N—n..." I stutter, barely able to force out the vocals. It was almost impossible to sound out the word, a knot had formed in my throat.