Chapter 17 ~ Memories

His fist hit my face. My head was sent flying to the side, hitting the dirt, followed by pain. It felt like I tore something in my neck. Whiplash? A metallic liquid filled my mouth, a chuck of the side of my mouth was missing.

   I turned to look at the jackal, spitting in his face. He let out a growl of disgust, bringing his hand up to wipe the blood off his face. The lights weren't dark like they were before, yet I still couldn't see who he was.

   I quickly brought up my knee, hitting him in the stomach as hard as I could. The canine gritted his teeth, growling in pain as he rolled onto the ground, muttering curses to himself.

   I quickly got up, spitting out more blood onto the ground before walking over to him with my steps slightly wobbly. My knuckles met the jackal's face. Then my foot, but it was stopped.

   The canine had grabbed my ankle. I stared at him, a knot of fear forming. He twisted my ankle, tossing me into the air. I flip through the air, spinning and spinning. It felt like it would never end until I slammed into the ground, landing on my side. The world still spins for a few seconds. I shook my head, groaning as I make myself stand up.

   He was fast. And strong. He could easily fight with the hits he took, too. My chances just keep dwindling.

   The canine ran at me again. Only, this time I was ready. I moved out of the way, grab the jackal's shoulder and then swung myself onto his head. His long, stiff hair got in the way, but I managed to wrap my legs around his neck, though his face was on the other side of his body. I brought my fists down on his head, tightening my legs, suffocating him.

   Guilt snuck into my heart as the jackal growled, gloved hands trying to pry my legs from his neck. He spun in circles, trying to send me flying off him. I clamp down my jaw, forcing myself to keep bringing down my punches, somewhat happy I didn't have to see the canine's face.

   The jackal kept letting out suppressed cries of pain. "Oh, you want to play dirty, huh?" he challenges, voice agitated.

   He grabs my legs, ducking down, swinging me off him onto the dirt floor. My face slaps into the ground, there was a thud in my ears. I groan.

   When I tried to get up, the jackal was behind me. His hands were wrapped around my collar, pulling. The silver metal ring choked me while the sharp wires – which sends the electricity into my body – dug into my throat. I could already feel my skin starting to split open.

   I let out a whimper of pain as I tried to pry the collar from my windpipe, desperate. I couldn't breathe. My heartbeat was quickening with panic.

   I was terrified.

   I felt the jackal's breath on my neck. Alarms went off in my body.

   "It's nothing personal," he whispers. "But I need to win. There are consequences if I don't."

   My mind reeled with confusion and lack of air. "Consequences"? What do you think will happen to me if I lose? I guarantee my outcome will be worse.

   The world was growing dark, my arms were going limp. My neck was bleeding, yet the jackal didn't stop strangling me until my arms fell by my sides.

   He released me. I fell to the ground, clutching my neck, gasping and wincing. After a few seconds of coughing up blood and wheezing I forced myself to crawl away. I reached the doors that I came out of, hoping somehow, they would open and let me out. I was desperately trying to get away from my adversary.