Chapter 38 ~ Crimson

One week, that's how long I have until I need to get back. Earlier so that I can explain myself to the others, though Knuckles did say "I won't stop you". So perhaps I'm overthinking this. Point is, on that seventh day is when my sergeant promotion is scheduled, that is when I must be there. I don't want to miss the goal that I've had in mind for several months in the back of my head.

The sun had risen a few hours ago, I had traveled a few kilometers on foot, stopping for breaks when my legs got exceptionally shaky. My soles have started to ache slightly, yet I was happy to be out of that wheelchair.

I was maybe halfway through the city now. I needed to get a method of transportation to be able to get to my first location, there was no way I could get to Robotnik's tower on foot and be able to search other locations. I was going to find one of the military bases so that I could steal or catch a ride. I can't fly a helicopter, and explaining why I would need someone to fly me would be impossible. So, a ground vehicle may be better, though it will take far longer to travel.

The buildings have gotten shorter now, only about six stories tall at the most. The sky was a bright blue, few clouds dotted the sky. It was peaceful and had no sign of war compared to the street below. The road was crushed, some chunks of pavement upturned or reduced to rubble from explosions. The walls of buildings and homes were scorched with black, crumbling or were barely standing.

Surprisingly, nobody was on the street yet. Not that I was expecting people to move back, it was just that I had expected construction to start at some point. I hear a crunch of concrete. I whip around.

"Hey!" a voice says. It was a blue bird. He wore a strange camo bodysuit, black shirt and googles. They had an assault rifle raised at me. "Your military?" He asks after looking me up and down.

I drop my rifle, letting it dangle from my belt and raise my hands. I nod my head. The bird still seemed somewhat skeptical.

"Any ID? Just protocol."

I nod and slowly reach to my rifle. The blue bird tightens his grip on his gun. I work quickly to tug my pair of dog tags off the scope of the rifle, then I show it to the bird.

"Please state your name," he says, taking calm steps towards me.

That made me tense up. This would be what gets me in trouble, the fact that I can't answer his question. I gesture to my throat and shake my head. My accuser didn't seem to understand what I meant, but after a few seconds of silence, he seemed to understand.

"Oh, uh, I... sorry," he says. He takes my dog tags. "(Y/N), huh?" He hands them back to me. I wrap the chain back around the scope.

"I'm Lex," he clips his assault rifle to his belt. "Where are you headed? I've never seen you here before."

I reach into my pouch, grabbing my whiteboard and marker. I'm looking for a way to Robotnik's tower, I write. Lex reads this, he raises a brow.

"Robotnik? You mean Eggman?" Lex is slightly confused by what I call the mad doctor. But then his orange eyes light up. "Whelp, me and my squad is about to search the warzone around the tower anyway. You want to come?"

I nod, folding and putting away my method of communication. I give a thankful look, trying to be appreciative. Lex begins to walk in the direction I was going in, the only thing to do was follow. He leads me through a few twists and turns in the city, speaking about nonsense that I had trouble focusing on. A few times I almost stumbled and fell, but I manage to keep on my feet without him noticing. Soon Lex had brought me to his base. There were several soldiers wearing the same camo suit Lex had, they waved us towards them.