Chapter 28 ~ Drowning

"Where are you...?" I mutter to myself, peaking through another doorway. I've been through so many before, several dozen. I was beginning to lose hope. All these rooms were empty, no signs of life. Just monitors, graphs, screens, and other strange readings of information. This would make my stomach fall every time seeing these things.

   I quickly step into the doorway, and look around the room. It was very tidy, and relatively empty. Just a few tables, laptops and stuff. It didn't take much to know that nothing was in the room.

   The same gut-dropping feeling found its way to my stomach again. I sigh in disappointment. Then return the way I entered.

   I cross the hall, carefully stepping as to lower the sound of my footprints echoing off the metal walls. I step to the door, readying my assault rifle. Anything could be inside, there were never any windows on the doors, just a number. There could be robots, illusions, or – God forbid – Infinite.

   Taking a deep breath, I step in front of the door's sensor, and it opens. At first glance there was no other presences, but I didn't let that fool me. The last time I believed that my team got wiped out and I nearly lost Felix.

   Where is he now? I think to myself, lowering my rifle slightly while I stepped into the room, remembering when he told me he couldn't fight the rest of the war. I miss you, buddy.

   This room was unlike the others, there were monitors everywhere, some metal tables, syringes and IV's were placed carefully on them. The fluid inside most of them was clear or opaque. Others would be a strange purple. I shivered at what poor soul would have these mystery fluids entered into their bodies.

   There were several sheets of paper stacked carefully on a table alone. I walk to it, lowering my rifle to my side. The sheet had graphs and tons of information on it. Most of the things written down was foreign to me, it was like a different language of biology, math and theory's. I push the top page to the side, scanning the sheet below. This one I could read.

   The subject has bonded well with the Phantom Ruby. It would stand to believe that they are becoming a single entity, by the way the subject has grown such dependence on it. The subject is so determined to become a master of the Phantom Ruby's abilities that they constantly overuse it, causing migraines, quickened heartrate, sweating, exhaustion, and even hallucinations.

   Whenever the subject becomes highly emotional, it would create illusions with the Phantom Ruby during their distress. It is likely accidental. These "episodes of distress" have grown rarer. Either the subject has learned proper control of the Phantom Ruby, their emotions, or has found a way to use its power to "numb" out emotions. This theory is very likely as the subject barely expresses anything sign of joy, anger or sadness. They have also grown a higher tolerance of pain, or simply does not complain.

   Continue to monitor vitals and behaviour, as the subject has shown some mood swings, and seeming switches of personalities.

   Who is this...? This page was dated from just a month before the war. I quickly flip to the next page in hope for answers, such as a name, or anything.

   The subject has not taken to the Phantom Ruby well, unlike subject J.S-0.I, and has gone into a coma-like state. The subject will be kept in Base: 18 until further development.

   That was it, the rest of the papers didn't talk about these "subjects". If it did, it wasn't written out in a way I could understand. Even though I was relatively smart, I wasn't on this level.

   I shake my head, frustrated. Then I force myself not to get worked-up and to stay on task. I step away from the table and keep looking around. Soon, I see another table. And this made my heart pound.