Chapter 5 ~ Lost and Found

I had regrouped with Charmy, Espio and Vector several minutes ago. They didn't find anything. I felt horrible for showing up empty handed. "I'm counting on you" Knuckles had said to me, and I didn't find Sonic. I felt like a failure, ashamed. Determined to prove my worth, I had left the group to search for Sonic again.

   Only a hundred feet from our stolen shuttle, my Wispon had been knocked out of my hands by a blast from an Egg pawn. Several dozen had surrounded me. I have been able to fight off about twelve of them, giving my knuckles bruises in the process. Eventually two got behind me and grabbed my arms.

   Now I am at their mercy. They're charging their cannons now, and it's not for intimidation. They weren't programmed to take prisoners. In a way, I was glad, I won't have to go through the hell the doctor made me experience again.

   But I still struggled, not letting myself die at the mechanical hands of simple pawns, not when I have a promise to keep. My eyes went wide at the ever-brightening canon. I braced for death.

   When I blink, a blur flashed in front of me. The arms restraining me were gone. The robots where all dead. Reduced to scrap.

   I quickly duck down, reflexes kicking in, hoping to avoid any more dashes from the blur. I didn't know what alignment they had; they could easily kill me if I got in their way.

   A pair of red shoes landed before me. White straps were across the top of each, a grimy golden buckle holding down the straps on the side of each shoe. They were worn and had a faded red colour staining some of the white fabric.

   Only one Mobian wears those hyper friction shoes, I thought.

   My eyes traveled up the blue figure. Eventually, my eyes landed on their face. It was him.

   A pair of emerald green eyes stared back at me. They weren't scared, joyful if anything. But there were glassed over. Though bags were under his eyes, he still somehow found a reason to smile as he extended his hand out to me. Dried blood stained his white glove. Was it his?

   "Easy! Everything's cool," Sonic assures. Are you talking to me or yourself?

   After a few seconds of hesitation, I took his hand. My face burned with shyness and shame. Shame that Sonic is the one saving me. It was supposed to be the other way around. This is going to make me seem even more useless than I already am. Needing an injured, prisoner of war to save you from simple pawns? That's a new kind of low.

   It was pathetic.

   Sonic lifted me up, but I couldn't move my eyes from the bruises and indents on his wrists. It looked like something had been crushing them. Handcuffs? Chains? I looked him up and down, searching for any other injures.

   He was thin. I mean, Sonic has always been that way, but this... was malnourishment, and it was bad. Dangerously thin. Almost as small as me, and Sonic was taller than me so his body weight should be more. I am aware that I am dangerously thin, and I'm trying to deal with it, but Sonic's condition is worse. Scabs, cuts and bruises covered his entire body, especially his legs.

   "Are you here to rescue me?" he asked.

   I moved back my eyes to his. Only for a moment though, I couldn't keep eye contact him. I nodded. I was supposed to rescue you but look where we are now.

  "Can't tell you how much I appreciate it," he says, grateful. "It's been a while since I've seen a friendly face."

   Sonic looks down at the dead robots, kicking one of them. How could he possibly find the ability to smile after what he went through? How is he even standing? I wonder what is going on in Sonic's head, what emotions he was feeling. I would think that if I were him, I'd be somewhat upset that the Resistance took so long to find me.