Sleep is for the weak

"I fear nothing anymore! All my stress is gone and everything makes me smile and laugh! I have unlimited confidence!" Mari practically yell, spinning herself in her home computer chair.

     "Girl, you need to sleep. How long have you been awake?" Alya says, her hands on her hips.

     "What time is it?"

     "3:37 pm." Alya says after checking her phone.

     "If I woke up at 7am yesterday and haven't slept since, I'm at 32 hours and counting." She smiled. "Oh! Do you know what I should do? I should call Adrien," she pauses to yawn, "and tell him I like him!"(lol I'm at 38 hours rn)

     "Marinette, that's a- great idea!" Alya kind of liked the confidence, even if it was fake, Mari had at the moment.

   Mari picked up her phone and called Adrien but got sent to voicemail. She left a message and hung up.

   At 6, Mari had finally passed out of exhaustion and Alya left.

   Adrien had just returned from patrol and was really tired when he saw he had a voicemail from- Ladybug?!?

     "Hey Adrien, this is Marinette and I just wanted to tell you that I really like you and I was hoping we could go out sometime. Bye."

   Cool, Marinette is Ladybug and wants to go out with him.......... Wait, WHAT? Okay Adrien, act cool like when you're Chat Noir. No big deal. You save Paris almost everyday with Lb, I mean Marinette. This shouldn't be a big deal.

    HOLY COW, HOLY COW, HOLY COW, HOLY COW, THIS IS A HUGE DEAL! BIG ENOUGH TO MAKE ENOUGH BEEF TO RUN A STEAK HOUSE! THE SUPER HERO GIRL WHO HE LIKES DOES NOT LIKE SUPER HERO HIM BUT LIKES NORMAL HIM AND NORMAL HIM IS BEST FRIENDS WITH NORMAL HER BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO PUT THEIR FRIENDSHIP ON THE LINE BUT NOW HE KNOW WHO SHE REALLY IS BUT HE CANNOT TELL HER!! Or can he.... NO!

     In the morning, Mari half remembered what she had done. She had dine some pretty good math though, so she was going to call it a success. When she got up, she still felt sluggish. It's official, no more all nighters till college even if it was done over the weekend.

Mari got dressed for school and her typical awful Monday morning routines proceeded, meaning breakfast, cleaning up the mess she made trying to make breakfast, make sure homework is in backpack, double check homework in in backpack, dig something out of backpack, get a snack, almost leave without homework, come back for homework and go to school.

   Yep, normal Monday, until Adrien asked her out on a date. Even Alya was in shock, she even dropped her phone, only for it to be caught by Nino, who asked if they could make it a double date.

After the four had decided on a time, place and day for the double date, Friday at 6pm for a movie, they went to their shared first class.

Days past slowly and without problems, mostly. Of course on Thursday night, Marinette was so worried about her date she picked and re picked her outfit, trying each one on. She did her homework and checked, double checked, triple checked, quadruple checked it to make herself feel better. She even looked at earrings, even though she would never dream of taking hers off.  

   She worried all night and soon her alarm to get ready for school went off.

     "Holy cow, have I really been up for 24 hours already! What do I wear!"

   After ten minutes of deciding, she went with an outfit similar to her normal one, only it had a pink skirt instead of jeans and her hair down. Two ties in her back in case she changed her mind, which she did, twice until she finally left it down.

   Marinette was glad that for once, things were going in her favor. It was already noon and there hadn't been an akuma attack! Of course she wasn't going to jeopardize this so she quietly knocked on her wood desk. Of course, now she was curious as to why people knock on wood.

   At the time she was in study hall so she figured she may as well ask, do she raised her hand.

     "Yes Marinette?" The teacher asked kindly.

     "Miss I was wondering where the expression 'knock on wood came from, do you know?"

     "Actually I do. I was wondering myself a few days ago. The action of knocking on wood was an understated version of the pegan idea of making loud noises to ward off evil spirits that they believed would do everything they could to ruin a person's good fortune," the teacher said confidently. (This is legit)

      "That's really cool," Marinette marveled at the information, excited to share the her new knowledge with her best friend at lunch.

   When lunch rolled around Alya, Nino, Adrien and Marinette sat together as had become a ritual. Mari and Alya chatted back and forth about what the boys thought were a lot of different things but was truly on conversation about the double date using their secret codes. Nino decided to make a new playlist and start the basics of a new mixtape, while Adrien texted Natalie so his father knew he was safe.

   A day, no matter how amazing would not be complete without an akuma attack and there had been a lot since Chloè got the lead in the school play. Today it was another underclassman who was simple enough to beat, but sure was mad. After the fight, Mark was dead tired. She almost fell asleep in maths but the day flew by. Before she knew it, it was time for her date with Adrien.

   Natalie and Gorilla picked the group up and drove them to the movie theater, where they sat and talked until it was time for the movie. They had decided to see a romantic comedy that neither Alya or Nino cared for, but Adrien loved it and Marinette didn't remember much as she had fallen asleep on Adrien's shoulder soon after it started.

   When the movie ended, the group decided to get ice cream, Alya had to wake up Marinette first.

   On their way to get ice cream, Alya texted Marinette.

Alya: girl, how long have you been awake???
Mari: maybe like 36-39 hours.
Alya: that explains A LOT
Mari: what does that mean?
Alya: .......
Mari: ALYA!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?!??
Alya: ...........
Mari: ALYA!!!!
Alya: .................
Alya: oh, nothing. . .