Ch01 Stepping In

86, 87, 88 . "I can't hear you, young lady. "

(louder) 89, 90, 91. Here I feel like I'm dying, and all he cares about is how loud I count my squats. But I'm not going to give up. He has to train me. I will not let him win.

"138,139.. one urgh forty".
"Are you tired? that's it? A Colonel's daughter, who tried everything to get a chance to prove herself in front of me, is exhausted in less than 150 squats? What were you thinking?"
(gaining a little power, voice louder) 141, 142.

Flashback in my brain-
"Dad you can leave me at home, I'm safe!"
"No baby Jane, you don't know. I can't leave you alone at home, it's just too risky. Don't worry, the military academy is a lot safer. I've told them to take care of you, just like an officer. It's just seven months. I'll be back from my foreign posting and we all will get back to our family home." "You leave me no options Dad! "

KMA-
"Hello miss Jane. Great to see you again. I presume Colonel Stuart has boarded his flight."

"Yes uncle. May I please know where my room is and what will I get for my conveyance?"

"You are not here for a trip."
The heaviest male voice I've ever heard, came from one corner of that room.

"And may I know who are you Mr.?"
I could see his eyes red, nostrils flaring from anger, looking at me and Col James alternatively as if he's waiting for his permission to kill me. With a walking stick he was using to stand with support, looking as if he hated it the most at the moment.

"He's Major Wills. He'll be accompanying you whenever you go out of this academy." Uncle answered for that as*.

"Not for your tours miss!"
I got startled with his sudden burst of anger.
"Wills! Mind your tongue!" Uncle scolded him.
"Yes sir." he barely whispered.
Just three words from uncle James and this guy has his eyes on the floor? That's strange.

"Look Jane, because of your safety reasons, you will have a limited access to area outside this academy" he continued to speak politely.

"You can't be serious!"

"Yes Jane, I am. The academy produces soldiers. It's not a place for.. Um.. non soldiers. Colonel stuart is my good friend, so I accepted his request to keep you safe here. But there are a few rules that you have to follow while living in this academy. Don't worry it won't be difficult, just a little restricted."

I could have never been angrier at Dad than at this very moment. How could he do this to me? Anyways, it's just a matter of seven months, and I'll be out. It's ok I can live.

"Alright uncle James, I got it. Now please help me get around this place?"

"Sure. Wills will take you." No, not this killer please.

"Follow me." He gave a tight salute to uncle James, and turned on his heels moving out. As soon as we left uncle James's room, he turned around, looked into my eyes and said
"You are a disgust to this academy. Don't think you are here to enjoy. Just stay in your room for next seven months, and don't be seen roaming around, specially in training areas. Finish your holidays and leave this place."

Okay. What is his problem? This guy deserves an answer.
"Even I never wanted to come here. Dad left me with no other option so here I am ! I'll be happier to leave, thank you."

I threw my bag on the bed. 'you are a disgust' it just won't stop ringing in my ears. How dare he? That's an insult.
I need some fresh air.

"Are you Jane stuart?" came from behind.
I saw his uniform. Major Nick. "yes, why you too a have problem in me being here?" his laugh following my statement made my mind a little lighter.
"That means you've met Wills already."

"Met? I just saved my life. That man wants to kill me or what?"
"Hahah, can't blame you completely. He's an extreme personality. Every single soul in this academy is afraid of him, even me, at times. The only person who can control him is Col James. He's a hard-core soldier. Recently he came back alive from an impossible mission, seriously injured with multiple fractures. Only he could have done it, no one else. Col James has trained him cruelly for 3 years, that he is unbeatable by anyone but Col himself. You gotta give him that."

"I see, that's why he literally hates me. but he said a few things which I can't simply let go of."
"My suggestion will be, stay away from him." He said with a light chuckle.

As soon as he heard Maj Wills calling him, his expression changed and he ran to him without even saying a bye.
That killer guy must be something.

************************************

Next morning with uncle james- "Uncle, I want to learn martial arts. I will be living here for seven months, and I don't want to be a disgust to this place. Moreover one should learn the best from the places they visit. Is there anyone who can teach me some basics?"

His face was expressionless which I was expecting. Two hours ago, even I couldn't believe myself saying this statement.

"Did anyone say anything to you, Miss Jane?" he enquired.
I was taken off guard. How could he reach that conclusion?
"I.. umm no.. It's just a thought that clicked me."
I lied to avoid anymore questions that might boil my blood.

He was looking at me with sharp eyes, trying to bring out answers from me. I swear if he had continued for a few more seconds, I would have blurted out everything that crazy man told me.

Just then entered Maj Killer with a firm salute with strength to break the floor, despite him dependant on that stick. Impressive!

"At ease Wills, have a seat. Jane wants to learn martial arts during her stay here at the academy. I am happy she got motivated here. There's no one in the academy as talented as you are. Will you teach her?"

What will he kill me with? a gun? a knife? that stick? or just his eyes?
I didn't even dream of him being in the picture.
Wait. What harm can he do. Well whatever happens, happens for a reason. He said I'm a disgust. Now he'll prove himself wrong.

"If you permit, I need to know her threshold for training under me, Sir."
He said coldly.

What was that supposed to mean?
I was expecting a no. But he didn't seem affected at all.

"You people can discuss the schedule and plan yourselves. Jane if you are comfortable, he can start your training. I must say he'll be the best teacher you can ever get."

"Sure uncle." I said with a little sarcasm in the end.

Outside Colonel James's office- "meet me in the gym in 8 minutes in decent training clothes, miss. Let's see what guts you have."
With that order in his heavy voice, he turned back and walked towards the gym.

* Coming back to reality *

"yes miss? after 148 comes 149." This brought me back to my senses. But.. oh no...
oh god oh god.. and I fell while I was getting up from my 149th squat.

Damn it!