Ch22 Nick= Bad Luck

************************************
Finally it's weekend! I'll be updating pretty fast now. Lot of chapters on the way.
Be ready to fall for Nick.
Ok bye.
************************************

A new day began. I was full of pride and confidence, but didn't let it show on my face. No more chill trips, thanks.
Morning runs are painful, but inevitable.
No orders to run with extra weight today, that means my timing was better than yesterday. Well that's good. Five days means I've improved my timing by minimum 5 seconds. That's impressive.

I finished my 2nd round only to get my day brighter. Nick was standing there with Killer, but worried.
But he smiled his usual smile that makes my head lighter.
"Nick you look worried.. Did he come to know about yesterday's prank too?" I took a risk. It was a trap for Killer. Why not pull his leg.

Nick's eye popped out. "What? What prank Jane?!" His looks shifted between me and Killer.
"Jane don't do this. I'm already in trouble.... Wills I swear, I didn't goof up. I did nothing.... Tell him you're lying!"

Killer kept a straight face and looked at Nick. "She's making fun of both of us."
Ok. Now that pissed me off.

"Sir, I'm extremely sorry to comfort my friend in his worry. Nick, whatever the hell is wrong, all the best."
I said everything looking at Nick.
The tone was polite enough to show anger and sarcasm, without earning crunches.

I went back to running when I heard Nick running to me. He choked me from behind, like WWE friends and turned me back. We reached at the same position. Well that was a cute friendly gesture and I forgave him instantly. But Killer, huh!

"Hey Jane, our goof ups are secrets. Others should not know about them, right?" I knew he was trying to lighten my mood, so I played along.
"yea, absolutely, just the two of us."
Nick continued "So what, if others are jealous? They can't stop us from having fun, can they?" I chuckled.

A loud "hmm?" interrupted us, and before Killer would become angrier, he continued. "Hey Jane, I'm going for a football tournament with my team today."

"You're playing football?
"No ma'am, I'm their coach."

"That's what I was thinking. How could your team win then?" I laughed at him.
"Hey hey now. Wills.. Please do the honour..." He pointed towards Killer.

Killer started his speech.
"KMA has been winning this tournament for past nine years. First time when we both were in the team and Nick was our captain."
"Whoa! Nick ! I didn't know you're a star!" I looked at him with surprise.
He was barely smiling, an unusual response to such a proud past.

Before I could ask him what's wrong, he cut me.
"So, miss. This coach needs best of luck for today's match. A lady luck works magic. "

"All the worst Nick!" I laughed and started running away.
He acted like chasing me but was called by his team.
I waved him bye and wondered what was wrong with him.

Then I shook my shoulders and decided that I can't do anything about it. So I carried on with my job.
.

I was having a normal day. Scoldings from Killer, silent swearing in return.
But it felt a little different. I was feeling as if something was about to go wrong.
Killer seemed to grow restless with every passing minute of this evening.
He was looking at his watch more frequently than normal.

Then, as if anticipating it, he turned back just in time to take a mobile phone one from someone I didn't even see coming.

"Yes Nick.
What?!
You have to be kidding me, do you know what that means?...
He'll kill us Nick! He'll kill you!
No don't even think about it. I'll call him.
No you should not! I'll try and talk to him.
I'll call you back."

With trembling hands, in utter emergency he dialled another number.
As soon as the receiver end picked up, Killer straightened up, tone serious.
" Good evening sir! Major Wills reporting sir! "
.
His face had a look of worry.
" Yes sir. The Tournament. Sir.. We.. Lost in the spinoffs." With that he shut his eyes and lips tight. I'm sure he was silently taking in all the bashing he was getting from the receiver end.
After almost a minute he replied.
"Me sir. I was the coach."
.
"It was Major Nick after me, sir. But he didn't get much time to..."
.
"Sorry sir... Right Sir."
.
He swallowed a big lump before finally saying "Roger sir!" and then he waited for the senior officer to cut the call.

He took a deep breath and dialled another number.
"Nick, I talked to father."
Wait, what! That was uncle James he was talking to?
"He's called everyone back in the football field.... No he didn't even give me a chance to speak.... Yea I knew it too, but I had to take a chance! You guys leave at the earliest. Don't bother the boys, they'll be dealt with, here, properly."

Everything happened too fast, I couldn't connect the dots at that speed.
Sensing my confusion, Killer spoke up.

" Father's favourite game is football. So he appoints either me or Nick as the coach for the team. I went for that mission in the middle of their training, and Nick replaced me. I don't know what happened in my absence, but the boys won't play even half as good as they initially did. Nick won't tell me what went wrong. We saw their game last weekend, and we were sure we're not winning this year. But.. worst happened.. We lost in the first round itself. It's a slap on our face, specially father's, since he was so confident of getting the rolling trophy. "

I saw where it is all leading to. "And uncle James is angry, and since Nick officially is the coach, he's in big trouble. Is it? "
" Yes. I was trying to talk him into counting me responsible, instead of him. But he didn't listen. I know, somehow, I am responsible for everything that's going wrong. " He said, with helplessness in his eyes.

Why?
Why such things have to happen with that poor man. Nick is a darling, and he's in some or the other trouble everyday.

" Your training for today is cancelled , since today is going to be a long day. And I'll be involved in something... else. So you can either stay here training on your own, or go back. Just count the damned fifty fast and you are free."
I dropped down and counted fifty. It was literally breath taking, but today was the first time I did it in one stretch. I felt utterly happy, but then a feeling of shame washed over me when I imagined Nick's state in few hours.

He waited till I finished and stood up. With that he nodded and left, limping away. I stood there confused, what to do.
I don't know what came in my mind, I followed him.
"Can I be with you and Nick?"
He looked at me and said a straight No.
That look was supposed to scare me, and he was successful in it it too, but for a few seconds.

"My presence might help Uncle James be less angry?" I tried to convince. I wanted Nick to be safe, in whichever way I can help.
He stopped and replied "Don't try to bribe, young lady! If he wants them all half naked in ice, he'll have them. You being there or not, will change nothing."

I was stunned and was about to leave. He walked a few steps and stopped suddenly, when I heard "But stay silent. I should not hear a word from you."
He said over his shoulder.
Well that's his way of agreeing to something that you propose to him. Hahah.
So I stayed with him. Two steps behind, to be precise.