Ch82 Nick-N-Wills

Most of you guessed it right.
So here's an early update.

*****************************

"Well I figured that out - Major Wills wasn't with you since his Day 1. Right?"

Going back over everything Nick said, I understood that Nick and Killer are not the brothers the world thinks they are.

"You are right. Wills is not my blood. I am not his father. I didn't choose him to be my son. Rather, he chose me. He has been a man of his words since the day I met him."
He said with pride in his eyes.

************************************

Nick was my 8 years old mamma's boy.
And he was equally scared and spaced from me.

I used to stay away on missions mostly, leaving the two of them behind. And whenever I came back, the officer in me would take over the father in me, and I would scold him, threaten him, and sometimes beat him for his mistakes.
He had started hating me, but his hate multiplied a thousand times when we met with that accident.

Unknowingly I had made an enemy in the form of Yazan - Aarham's father, during my missions.
It was his motive to take my life, or atleast destroy it.
That accident occurred with his planning, in front of his eyes.

I came back home from yet another mission. My wife Merlen made me realise and promise her that I'll make up for all the injustice I did with Nick.

I agreed and we planned to drive to the countryside and spend a few days peacefully.
Nick was reluctant but he was comfortable with Merlen.

On our return back, we were hit hard by a truck from passenger side. That was all I remembered before I lost my consciousness.

I woke up after seven days in a hospital to know that Merlen had left us a day before.

My son, thankfully on his feet, covered in bandages, looking at me with pure hatred.
I knew what his eyes meant - I was responsible for everything, and it was true.

I never got a chance to apologise to her, or tell her how much I loved her. I couldn't bear that loss. My recovery worsened and I attempted suicide. Considering my low emotional balance, I was kept admitted at the hospital for few more weeks.

All this time, Nick used to visit his mother along with another boy of his age. He was lean, looked malnourished but he was active.

He used to bring Nick to the hospital daily. Nick didn't want to see my face after he lost his mother, but this boy made him visit me. I didn't know who he was, where he lived, and where was he taking my son to.

Only after I gained enough senses, I understood that he was an orphan who saw the whole accident live, saved the three of us from imminent fire to our vehicle by calling for help, brought us to this hospital, and took Nick along with him when visiting hours got over.

I didn't believe it at first. A boy as small as him, that too an orphan, can't do all that was told.

After a few days, Nick stopped visiting me. Only the boy came, bringing fruits and food.
One day I couldn't resist and asked him to stay and talk to me.

That day I came to know about Wills.
At the age of 3, his soldier father left him and his mother in the hands of hope and humanity.
And at the age of 5, his mother left him at an orphanage before succumbing to depression and ended her life- something I was one step away from.

He was raised partly by his parents, and partly by the caretakers at orphanage.
Being poor, they couldn't provide all facilities a small boy should get. Instead, to help them run the orphanage with 17 other kids, he started working at a mere age of 9. He was given the job of early morning distribution of newspaper to the homes within 5 mile radius. Other kids used to do petty jobs too.
Whatever money the kids earned, they would give it to the orphanage to help in their finances.