Ch08 Background

We were sent orders to report after two months at this military academy.
That day dad came to us.

"Look boys, I'm the instructor at the KMA. Your batch will be training under me. Now there's one thing I want to tell you...
I've been ordered to prepare one soldier at this academy equivalent to a commando, like all other military academies in the country have started. They call it Special Individual Training or SIT. I'll call it IST though.
The orders are very specific. I need to conduct a series of physical tests at the start of your batch's training and pick up the best. Then train him in extra hours throughout the course of 3 years. All this is off the paper, unofficial."

"This is a secret. You telling us this, means something. What is it father?" That was Wills who knew dad with every freckle on his face.

"I want that soldier to be one of you. You can call me crazy. But I can't imagine training some boy so intensely while both of you roam around in the campus.
It is something I'll probably be doing for the last time in my life. So I want it to be one of you. You guys are free to say no. You also have a second choice in the academy in case you change your mind.
I'll give you 2 days to decide. Just understand what I'm asking you to do, and decide"

Before I could even follow dad's words, Wills stood up and said, I'll do it. Then he turned back and looked at me, if Nick is OK with it.

I told myself, here I am, not sure if we'll be able to survive during the normal training, while he's asking my permission to let him go for the special training.

Before I could speak, dad made it easier. "Look boys, I will never tolerate any misunderstanding, any riff between you two. You have a tough life ahead, and you are lucky to have each other to rely on. So talk and decide and then tell me by this weekend."

After dad left, Wills turned to me and said "Just this one time. Let me. I'll not ask you again for any such thing."
"Ok ok! Go ahead. But why do you want to jump in this fire so eagerly?"
"I want to make him proud. I want to fulfill his dream. I want to prove myself."

"Brother you've topped the tests. There's nothing left to prove. But I'm happy you want to take that step."
That was the day. Our lives were never the same.

Dad started training us 2 months before we joined KMA. Our daily dose of workout was equal to what others did after joining. We knew next three years are going to be hell.