Ch59 Oh My Nick

"Boss and his dog are indeed hiding something big." Nick answered me.
"Damn!" I knew it!

But what?

************************************
"How do you know? Did Louis tell you anything?" I was getting impatient.

He kept his eyes on me for a few seconds. Then his face softened, and he looked down at the table, in pain.
"I need a break" he said.
"What?" I didn't understand what he meant.

"I'll leave KMA the day cadets leave. I need a break from this place, and the people. I've had enough." he looked in pain.
"What? Nick? Are you going? Are you not coming back?" I was afraid I'll lose him.

"I just want to go away. But my duties will not let me be free for long. I'll have to come back. For now, I'll ask for a six weeks leave. I'll be out of this maze atleast for sometime." he said still looking down.

"six weeks?! Nick! tell me what happened? Did Louis say anything to you? Did Killer say anything? Tell me what's wrong?"
"Sir Louis said a lot of things, which I should have heard from Wills. Or I should say, things that I should have never heard."

"What do you mean?"
"Wills was not supposed to come back alive from that mission, you know? He went there to die. TO DIE!"

We sat there for a few minutes in utter silence. I was playing rewind, all the words he just said.
Killer went to die? He was not supposed to come back alive? It was a suicidal mission?

" But ho.. How? Why? How come Uncle James didn't know about this? He would have stopped Killer from-"
"Dad sent him on that suicidal mission, himself." he whispered and I was shut.

"Jane, I need to leave this place soon, otherwise I'll become crazy. I feel so lonely right now, like I never knew these people, at all. I.. I feel cheated."
Oh goodness Nick, you're broken.

" Nick. Hey, you're not alone. They must have a reason for doing it. They must have hidden it from you.. may be because.... " I looked for a logical answer to complete my own statement.
"Because they didn't want to get their suicidal mission aborted. If I knew about it, I would have reported and it would have never become a success. Yea, that's why I was kept in the dark." he laughed to himself.

"My father decided that it was absolutely fine to get my brother killed in a secret mission, without even giving me an explanation, or atleast one last chance to meet him and say a final good bye."

"Hey there! Stop it! Don't talk like that! Dude he's alive! Your brother is alive! You can say him hi or bye whenever you want! Hell you can kick his ass whenever you want! Don't get depressed Nick, it doesn't suit you." I tried to cheer him up, but ended up becoming depressed myself.

He didn't speak for a long time.
"Nick, look at me. You are my best friend. The only one I trust here. Do you trust me? If yes, then tell me what happened. Who said what, that turned you into- this! I'll not speak a word to anyone, but please, let me share your worries. Please Nick... "
Nick looked at me with teary but doubtful eyes.
Finally he gave in.

"My heart aches, whenever I think about it. Wills told Sir Louis about his mission. He told Ren about it. Dad obviously knew about it before the mission was even planned. I was the only one who still has no clue about it."
I felt bad. And angry. How could Killer do that to Nick? I thought he cared for him. Didn't he know, how much this will hurt him?

"Nick..." I left the word for him to continue. And he did -

"
Oliver was on detention for past two days. I had inspected the mess thoroughly, there's no way he got food poisoning. Ren told me she's expecting some allergy. I couldn't wait till she finds out the cause, so I took it on my shoulders to find out the allergen. I thought of noting all the dates Oliver reported sick, and check the meals of the same date in mess records. I took out the logs and his files and sat cross legged in the med care store room to note the details and put it right back, instead of taking them out and studying it on my desk. Ren was not in the med care either so there was no point in sitting out, without a company.