Friends But Rivals

Rylan was waiting on top of an old abandoned building. The building was falling apart but the roof was still in good shape, the concrete had a few cracks but the air vent was broken and too big for the roof. The big box sat there and collected mold and dust. Rylan was leaning up against the broken air conditioner waiting for someone. Once that person showed up, the atmosphere change dramatically, he slowly walked towards Rylan and stopped int front of him.

"Hello Sora..." Rylan calmly greeted

"Rylan...." They stared at each other for a while before Sora spoke again. "Why did drag me up here on our day off?"

"Personal reasons..." is all Rylan could say.

"Oh, is this about a certain thing?" He grinned.

"Maybe...." Rylan knew Sora wouldn't understand his feeling for Faith but at the same time, Sora was in the same boat. He too had feelings for her but he doesn't show it as much as Rylan.

"How do you want to sort this out?" Sora asked.

Rylan had an idea in mind but he pretended to think of an idea. "Hmmm.... how about..... you stay away from her."

Sora's facial expression didn't change but Rylan knew he was puzzled. "You know I can't do that..."

"Why's that?"

"I'm second in command, I need to be close to her because that's my job. It's yours as well."

Rylans hands turned into fists. "But it seems you are more closer than I am, always being by her side when she faints while training, always giving her ideas about the group, and the one who has to protect her first!"

"I prefer the "group" to be called a "guild"." Sora added.

"Whatever, it doesn't matter what you think! This is about Faith not the "guild!"

"If you want to be closer to her and you think being 2nd in command will bring you closer, then challenge me!" Sora ordered as he stepped closer.

Rylan stepped back. "Maybe I will but we have to do this at the hide out, don't tell her about this!"

Sora didn't say anything, he stared at Rylan before shaking his head. "She's going to suspect something is up, no matter how we handle the situation."

"I don't care!" Rylan was starting to get irritated. "As long as I'm closer to her!"

"Why are you so obsessed? You do just as much as me." Sora had a little concern in his voice.

"I've known her for a long time, she's smart, has fast reactions, and she can do just about anything. But you've known her since you were 8! It's not fair!" Rylan choked as he struggled to say anymore.

Sora shook his head. "Truly disappointing, no wonder why I'm 2nd in command."

Rylans eyes widened. "What-"

"I'm thinking about the operation like I was ordered to! Your sulking over your own feelings and comparing us! That's not what the boss ordered!"

He didn't say anything for few moments. "Y-your right...."

Sora crosses his arms and started to walk away. "Come on, she's waiting for us."

They arrived at the hide out and noticed everyone was gone.

"I guess everyone went home." Sora said quietly as he gazed into the empty space.

Rylan opened Faith's office door. "Looks like Faith is gone too."

Sora didn't say anything.

"What if she got kidnapped!" Rylan said nervously.

"Seriously?" Sora said with a straight face. "That's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard."

Rylan glared at him. "I'm just stating the worst possible scenario."

Sora started to head out the door.

"Where are you going?" Rylan asked.

"I'm going to stop bye her house, to make sure she's okay." He continued to walk while Rylan caught up to him.

The next couple miles were awkward and silent, the only thing they could here was the sound of their footsteps and the cars that drove by. When they reached her house they noticed the lights were off, the trees around there were dark a spooky, the porch light was the only light on. They walked up to the front door when they heard something in nearby bushes, they got this strange feeling they were being watched.

"You feel that?"Ryan asked.

Sora nodded and looked behind him, he saw a bush move before an unseen figure ran the opposite direction. the person had a white sweatshirt on, the hoodie was over his head, blue jeans, and a black mask over his mouth and nose. Sora and Rylan chased after him, they ran through the thick forest, pushing branched and leaves out of their faces as they ran. They were beginning to catch up to him, Sora was close enough to touch his shoulder but the person took a hard right. He almost ran into a tree before he reacted by running up the tree and doing a back flip off of it. Rylan was still chasing after the person, he was right on its tail. Rylan could hear a river getting closer and closer, they must be heading towards a river. He could also hear Sora behind him, he was catching up fast. Rylan could see the river up ahead, he knew the person would try to jump the river, jump in, or follow the river down. To him, it was a 30% jump over, 20% jump in, and 50% follow it. Rylan knew what to do at this point but he needed Soras help. Sora caught up to him but Rylan could tell he was getting tired, he signed him to follow the person while he tried to jump the river, Sora nodded. After the person turned left at the river and followed the river downstream, Sora followed him while Rylan jumped. It was a far jump but he made it, almost. They each ran after the person on opposite sides of the river until another person showed up. After the white hoodied thug passed a certain point, another person stepped out in front of Soras path. This man didn't have a mask nor hoodie covering his face, instead he had a tatoo on the right side of his face. He had a red skulled shirt, light blue jeans, red sneakers, and a black jacket. His tatoo was a fancy red design that stretched down the right side of his face, his hair was black, and his eyes were blue.

Sora stopped and noticed the other person was still running. "Rylan! Keep running after that guy!"

Rylan nodded and found a place to jump back over to the other side, he continued to chase after him.

Sora returned his attention to the man in front of him. "Who are you?" Sora asked

"My name is Kay, your name is Sora right?" He stuck his hands in his pocket and lowered his head.

Sora scowled. "How do you know my name?"

"Your in one of the top delinquent groups in the city, everyone on the street knows your name." He grinned an evil smile.

"So Kay, what group are you in and why was your buddy hanging around that house?" His hands turned into a fist.

Kay pretended to wipe his nose with his thumb. "Nothing special, just research...."

"I know that's a lie, you wanted to find out about our secrets and weaknesses!" He yelled furiously.

"Clever boy, how did you figure that out?" Kay asked

"Please, I sensed your presence from the beginning and your footsteps are noisy."

"I see, what are you going to do now? Take me down?"

Sora held his fist in front of him. "That doesn't sound like a bad idea but I'll let you throw the first punch!"

Kay smiled. "Very well."

They stood in silence for a few minutes staring into each others eyes.