You're So and I'm So

Things were rather awkward and quiet between Harry and Charlie for the rest of the day, and by that evening Harry felt like he was suffocating.

Nothing felt right anymore.

"Um, you can head out early if you want I can finish everything." Charlie mentioned when they both finished wiping down the counters.

"I'm waiting for Zayn, actually." Harry said, glancing toward the door.

"Well you don't have to stay in here." Charlie said casually, starting to sweep the floor.

"Why are you kicking me out?" Harry dared to joke.

"I'm not I just...assumed you felt as awkward as I do." Charlie said quietly, keeping his eyes on the floor.

"I wouldn't if we could just get everything out in the open like adults." Harry said, watching him.

Charlie sighed heavily, like he'd been asked to do about a thousand chores.

Oddly, this seemed to trigger Harry.

"What is it?" He asked rather sharply.

Charlie suddenly looked at him, surprised by his tone.

"It's just driving me crazy." Harry added, calmer now.

"Yeah me too. Okay." Charlie said, closing his eyes and rubbing his forehead, stopping and leaning against the broom handle.

"I guess...lately I've kind of felt like I've been falling for you." He said, his words so close together they might as well have been one.

Harry still managed to understand though.

He swallowed, choosing not to speak.

"I don't know I just- you make me feel really....safe." He said, making eye contact now.

"Safe?" Harry frowned.

"Emotionally." Charlie clarified, making Harry's frown fade in interest.

"I can't describe it. Since my last relationship I've just felt so exposed and broken and just up in the air but after I got to know you a bit I felt so settled. When I was around you it just felt safe and calm. You were so kind to me and you always listened to me. You're just a really great person in general and I guess I like that a little too much."

"Not to mention you're absolutely breathtaking." He added.

Funny, now it was Harry struggling to breathe.

"My drawing did you no justice. I've never met anyone so beautiful and handsome at the same time."

"Your eyes-"

"Charlie." Harry suddenly spoke up, feeling immensely uncomfortable. "I-"

"You're blushing." Charlie observed.

Harry frowned at him. "I am not."

"You are." Charlie argued.

"So? It doesn't mean anything. I'm uncomfortable." Harry said coldly.

"Look, I just wanted to know why you touched my thigh. Now I know. I wanted us to be able to work together like before but...I don't think that's going to happen." He added.

"I know you're with Zayn, he made that very clear. What I did was wrong and I'm not going to do anything like that anymore, I'm sorry. I just wanted to tell you how I felt, which...I just did. So now we can just forget it, right?" Charlie asked.

Harry stared at him. "I can."

"Me too. It's no big deal." Charlie replied.

Harry blinked. "But you just said-"