Back Burner

The moment Zayn began to come into consciousness he felt pain.

He hadn't even thought about opening his eyes yet, feeling waves of pain radiating through his head, and even through his body.

His mouth was so dry he knew a swallow attempt would result in nothing but choking.

He was certain he was closer to death than he'd ever been.

The part of his brain that was responsible for memory had apparently taken a vacation, leaving him with nothing but a slight idea as to where he was.

Zayn let out a soft groan, frowning and breathing deeply.

He now realized how nauseous he felt on top of everything else.

He slowly raised his eyebrows, planning on opening his eyes but learning his body wasn't ready yet.

Suddenly he felt contact, a gentle touch on his forehead that drifted into his hair.

Fingertips gently massaging his head, stroking his hair in between.

"There's cold water and some medicine for your headache right here when you want it babe." Harry whispered to him.

Zayn smiled a little, sighing as he eventually managed to open his eyes.

He licked his lips. "I want it." He croaked out.

"Okay, sit up some." Harry said, moving to reach the glass and pills.

Zayn forced himself to sit up, lifting his arm to take the glass.

"No, I got it. Open." Harry said.

Zayn frowned slightly, resting his arm back down on the bed and opening his mouth.

Harry dropped the pills in, bringing the glass to Zayn's lips and tipping it.

Zayn swallowed the pills, almost drinking the entire glass of water before he felt satisfied.

"Better?" Harry smiled, taking the glass away.

"Yeah, thanks." Zayn said, laying back down.

He dared to look over at his window, seeing Harry had covered it to block out the light.

"I didn't want it to hurt your eyes." Harry said, noticing him looking.

"I also brought a trashcan in here if...you need it. Or if you're hungry just let me know, I'll get you food." He added.

"Thanks." Zayn smiled at him. "You're a lovely caretaker."

"One thing though," He said, closing his eyes again.

Harry watched, listening closely.

"If I ever mention getting drunk again don't let me."

Harry chuckled softly. "Are you sure?"

"I've never felt worse than this. I'm positive." Zayn gradually answered.

Harry made a noise of sympathy, pouting his lips as he started stroking Zayn's hair again.

"Poor baby." He teased.