Like That

Zayn took his time getting back to the apartment, his phone starting to ring as soon as he parked his car.

He saw that it was Alex, debating it a second before he answered.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Are you okay with meeting today? You never answered my text."

"Sorry about that, I...thought I did. Anyway, yeah that's fine." Zayn replied.

"Okay, I'll be over in a few minutes." She told him before they both hung up.

Zayn made his way up to the apartment, heading into the kitchen to get a bottle of water in case Alex wanted one.

He turned as he closed the fridge, flinching because of how close Louis was standing and how silently he'd arrived.

"Hey, I wanted to come talk to you about something while Liam is distracted." Louis explained.

"Okay...what?" Zayn asked cautiously, frowning some now.

"How do you think I should tell him I want to um, spend a little less time together?"

"There's nothing wrong, I just don't know how to tell him we don't have to do everything together. That's how it feels like it's been lately. At first I really loved it but, I'm starting to kind of miss having alone time." Louis explained because of Zayn's expression.

Zayn nodded. "I understand."

"So you feel the same way sometimes?" Louis asked.

"You mean...wanting to be alone?" Zayn asked.

Alone had really developed new meaning for Zayn since he fell in love with Harry.

"Yeah."

"Um, I guess every now and then." Zayn said, never really feeling like he had to be away from Harry.

He was perfectly fine with and capable of doing things on his own, but at the end of the day Zayn always wanted to be back by Harry's side.

"Yeah so, how would you tell Harry you wanted to kind of...do some things separately?" Louis asked.

Zayn genuinely thought about it.

"I'd make sure he was in a good mood first. I would explain to him how much I care about him and still enjoy his company, but also explain that I would feel more comfortable having some alone time. For my own health. I'd try to be gentle but firm at the same time."

"Ask him how he feels about it too, make sure your relationship is okay before you abandon the topic." Zayn added.

"I guess this is why you and Harry rarely fight." Louis smiled, an appreciative look in his eyes.

"You and Liam hardly fight either. I only remember you having one fight." Zayn shrugged.

Louis chuckled a little, looking elsewhere.

"Um, anyway, thanks." He said, eventually making eye contact again.

"Sure." Zayn said, watching him suspiciously.

Knocking at the door interrupted them, Louis heading back down the hallway while Zayn went to answer the door.

"Bist du bereit?" Alex smiled.

Zayn was barely sure what that meant, smiling and nodding.

"Good." She said, entering when he stepped aside to let her.

"You can go ahead and set up in the kitchen, let me get my stuff." Zayn told her.

"Sounds occupied." She commented, this causing Zayn to pause and listen.